We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit California State Fair Advice Needed

Taunton
Level Contributor
253 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Visit California State Fair Advice Needed

Hello

We (Mum, Dad and Son aged 12) are planning a three week in California next summer. We think that a couple of days at the State Fair could be fun.

Firstly, is this worth a visit?

Secondly, if so please recommend a good suite hotel close to the fair?

Thirdly, we would be driving from SF - how long to drive please?

Many Thanks

Phil

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit California State Fair Advice Needed

The state fair is pretty nice. We go almost every year.

Here's a link for close by hotels:

http://www.calexpo.com/Html/hotels.html

Radisson is very nice

Double Tree is probably the closest and is nice.

SF to Sacto with little traffic takes about 2 hours. Maybe a little less if things go really well.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit California State Fair Advice Needed

The State Fair is fun, but not sure about a couple of days at the fair. There are quite a bit of exhibits, but it can be done in a day. It's really up to you guys, but I would have a backup plan just in case you feel that one day was enough.

If you are looking for a suite hotel, I would recommend:

Residence Inn by Marriott

1530 Howe Avenue

Sacramento, CA 95825 (800) 331-3131

Check them out on the web. They have some nice rooms & breakfast too. They are less than a mile from CalExpo (where the State Fair is held).

Good Luck!

hollywood
Level Contributor
887 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit California State Fair Advice Needed

it's fun b/c it brings back memories, but i agree - 2 days might be stretching it.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,104 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit California State Fair Advice Needed

Two days in Sacramento would be perfect.

1 Day for the Fair

1 Day to visit Old Sacramento (www.oldsacramento.com),the Train Museum, State Capitol, Sutters Fort etc.

Maybe catch a Sacramento RiverCats minor league baseball game.

Personally, I would prefer to stay at the Embassy Suites in Old Sac rather than by the Fairgrounds. More to do and see within walking distance of Old Sac.

It's about a 2 hour drive from S.F. depending on the day and time. In heavy Rush Hour traffic it could take 4 hours.

hope this helps,

TJ :-D

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
276 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit California State Fair Advice Needed

If I were going to spend 3 weeks in California, I would not include the state fair in my plans at all. There are so many other things to see in California that would be worthwhile.

There are far better things to see in Sacramento such as Old Sacramento, the California State Railroad Museum, Sutter's Fort, and the State Capitol. Another interesting area right outside Sacramento is the Delta. You could visit the Cosumnes River Preserve or Locke.

Sacramento, Ca
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit California State Fair Advice Needed

Dont waist your time at State Fair. It is nothing to yell about. It has had violence in recent years and riots.

Old Town is nice but you need to be into trains. Otherwise it is a tourist trap. If in Sac I'd say to make sure to do a tour of state capitol. I drive to SF often and it is two hours.