We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sacramento or not?

Which Sacramento hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
tennessee
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
Sacramento or not?

We arrive in Oakland at 2pm June 20 on a Sunday. We thought of driving to Sacramento for the rest of our day to see Old Sacramento and the governers mansion and maybe a river walk. After reading this forum, makes me wonder if we should just drive on to Lake Tahoe. I figure it will be at least 5pm before we get to Sacramento. Will there be anything left to do ? What time do the shops close on Sunday? Is the river pleasant for an evening walk or is it too hot?

Roseville...
Level Contributor
319 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sacramento or not?

On a Sunday late afternoon I'd stick to Old Sacramento to stretch your legs before heading to Tahoe. June usually is not as hot as July-Sept.

You might try http://www.riocitycafe.com/ for dinner or drinks on the deck.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,428 posts
5,231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sacramento or not?

I'd probably just drive through to Lake Tahoe - its about a 4 hour drive. And since you are going on a Sunday, you will find less traffic on the road to Tahoe.

(Note: Friday is the worst as people escape to Lake Tahoe for the week-end or longer; Sunday should be an easy drive.) Also, most of the drive will be in the light since it will stay light until 9:00 or so at night.

Since its about a 2 hour drive from Oakland Airport to Old Sacramento, it can be a convenient stop for dinner. The railroad museum closes at 5:00 - so you are too late for that. You are in time for dinner - with several great options int he area.

http://www.oldsacramento.com/dining.php

Note: The minor league baseball team the Rivercats play at 1:00 that afternoon; since it is right next to Old Town, this is a very popular area for dinner afterwards. If you are set on a particular restaurant to eat at for the day, try to make a reservation say 5:15 or 5:30 that night so you won't have to wait around.

Of your could drive straight to Tahoe and have dinner about 8:00 that night.

I'd probably opt to drive straight to Tahoe - morning commute traffic can be a real pain in the Sacramento area - so getting ahead of that really can make for a better day (or if you do opt to stay in Sacramento - then plan to leave after 9:30 or 10:00 in the morning.)

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sacramento or not?

June isn't really a big month for people to trek to or from Tahoe. I wouldn 't worry too much about the traffic headed east in June. Summers have amazingly different traffic in Sacto than the rest of the year.

I'd also head to Tahoe directly as well. With the sun not going down until really late you could have a perfectly lovely Tahoe evening.

The guv's mansion closes at 5:00 and is closed on Monday so you'd only be able to stare at it from the outside. It's not particularly impressive either.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,428 posts
5,231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sacramento or not?

Schools are out in June - so people do take vacations in Tahoe. July however is busier and first half August. After mid August it becomes quieter again except for Labor Day week-end. Right now, Tahoe has lots of visitors who love to ski as we have excellent snow conditions this year (mixed in with some amazing snow storms that do impact activities.)

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sacramento or not?

June is not really a busy time in Tahoe. It's not that there is no one up at Tahoe, you just won't notice the traffic going there, like you would in the winter or in July and August.

I don't get why all the other months are being discussed when the OP is going in June.

Commute Traffic in Sacto in the summer is far lighter than the rest of the year especially in the morning when Sac State is not in session and especially going east. So if you do decide to stay over night you'll likely have an easy go of it. I wouldn't wait so late as 9:30 or 10:00. Totally unnecessary.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
66 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sacramento or not?

I enjoy Old Sacramento strolls, and I'm not keen on getting off a plane and jumping into a car right away. I'd call arriving in Oakland and ending the day in Sacramento just about enough for anyone.

I second the earlier posting about Rio City Cafe. That's a good choice for a nice river view.

Edited: 7:16 pm, March 01, 2010
Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sacramento or not?

If you like wine tasting, there's at least one interesting place in Auburn--Mt Vernon with a funny-named wine called "girly man" that somebody in the state capitol just bought a couple cases...but Auburn is along I-80. I thought "girly man" was actually pretty good. I bought a few bottles. It's a nice blend of syrah and petite syrah. They also have a good white and red port.

Are you going up Hwy 50 or I-80 or ???

Most of these wine tasting rooms close by 5pm on Sunday so if you're on pace, fine.

tennessee
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sacramento or not?

Still undecided but thanks for all the input. Wish I had a nice little place about an hour outside Tahoe with a lake and a little cabin with peace and quiet. Does such a place exist?

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sacramento or not?

"Wish I had a nice little place about an hour outside Tahoe with a lake and a little cabin with peace and quiet. Does such a place exist?"

Here's a few places to check out in Truckee:

(1) Donner Lake Inn

(2) Donner Lake Village Resort

(3) Richards Motel

You might realize that this will mean mosquitos at dusk.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sacramento or not?

Pollok Pines is about an hour away from South Tahoe. And it has a (small) lake. And cabins.