We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe area for SacState student

Which Sacramento hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
california
Level Contributor
160 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Safe area for SacState student

I'm looking for a condo or 2 bedroom house in the Sac State area for my daughter to live in with some roommates. How safe is the La Riviera area between Howe and Watt? What about the Swanston Park area? Thanks!

Level Contributor
142 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe area for SacState student

My daughter is a SacState junior, who lives more or less around the corner just up Fulton Av near Larkspur. No problems; and I think where you are talking about near the park is ok too. (At least driving thru it seems ok.)

I'm not as familiar with the La Riviera Dr. situation.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
157 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe area for SacState student

I live in that neighborhood and there are quite a few CSUS students who rent there. It's a good neighborhood, and would enable her to take a bus , walk, or ride a bike to campus rather than deal with the nightmarish parking situation on campus. You should definitely focus on that area.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
81 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe area for SacState student

As a female I can tell you that La Riviera is a good place to live for a college student, however there are some things you need to know! The closer you get to the intersection of La Riviera and Folsom Blvd, the closer you get to a bad neighborhood. I lived close to Watt and if I were to move back I'd probably want to be away from Watt a little bit closer to Occidental (kind of the mid point between Watt and Howe).

Here's why: A friend of mine who is a sheriff constantly warned me to avoid La Riviera and Folsom Blvd. because it was a high crime area and the shops at this intersection were regularly being robbed. Then, when I moved out my roommate stayed behind and got a new roommate...a few months after I had left the new roommate's car was stolen right out of the drive way. Now, it's been 4 years since I've lived there so things might have turned around but I think it's fair warning to tell you to do a lot of homework on the neighborhood you choose.

Like I said I had no problems living there and I never felt unsafe, but I highly recommend you drive around the neighborhoods you're looking at before making any decisions. Also, be sure to look at the police blotters and crime logs. I would also check out areas around American River Dr. between Watt and Howe (she'll be a little closer to grocery shopping here).

Hope this helps.

california
Level Contributor
160 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe area for SacState student

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me so much useful info! Good luck in school:)

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe area for SacState student

The area between Howe and Watt is good, even a little east of Watt is ok. The area right at the intersection of La Riviera and Folsom is the only place you need to be wary of.

california
Level Contributor
160 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe area for SacState student

Thank you!

7. Re: Safe area for SacState student

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 30, 2010