We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

san fran to carmichael help!

Which Sacramento hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
boston
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
san fran to carmichael help!

we are going to be in san fran oct 14,15 & 16 and i was hoping to visit my great uncle (92 y.o.) in carmichael on sunday the 15th. is this doable? he tells me traffic is a nightmare so i am fearful we will spend the day in the car. any info you can give me about the best way to get there, etc. that would be so helpful! i'd really like to see him being that we've never met since i've never been to CA before.

San Francisco
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: san fran to carmichael help!

hello,

if you drive down on a sunday morning around 9:00am it should take you about 90 - 100 min to go from SF to carmichael with no traffic. it seems as if most of the traffic is in the summer or winter when people are going between the bay area and tahoe on the weekend. the return trip from carmichael to to san francisco might take you a little longer - traffic can be a little slow as you approach the sf bay bridge with all of the returning vacationers. but it should not take you over 2 hours. my husband and i do this about 3 times a month on the weekends and is very doable. on the busiest weekends, we have never been in traffic over 2.5 hours. alternatively you could take the amtrak from the SF ferry building to Old Sacramento - the trip takes 2.5 hours but at least you know you won't be sitting in traffic and it is a pretty train ride. i hope this is helpful for you- have a great trip!

California
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: san fran to carmichael help!

Oct 15 is a Sat on my calendar. Either day, traffic going wouldn't be much of a probably, returning from Sac to San Francisco will be a little heavier. Also, if you drive, the highway maintenance people tentatively have scheduled that Sat. night to Sun morning a closure of the Bay Bridge going eastbound, so if you get a early start, you might drive north on the Golden Gate Bridge then east on the San Rafael- Richmond Bridge or Highway 37 to catch east Interstate 80. I don't know much about the Amtrak which you would catch in San Francisco or Emeryville (East Bay).

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: san fran to carmichael help!

Hi Sha1977,

As I posted in the SF forum the worst part is the return trip back to SF on Sunday night. If you have to make the trip on Sunday and have the luxury staying up late that night you might want to stay in Sacto til nine or ten. The traffic should lighten up some by then.

It would be a long night though.

TJ