We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Sacramento

Which Sacramento hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, CA
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Moving to Sacramento

Hi Everyone!

I'm 24 years old and married. We're looking to move to Sacramento in the next couple of years to start a family. I am wondering where the nice places are to live. We live in the bay area now, but just cannot afford an actual house. We wouldn't even be able to afford the townhouse we're in anymore if we had to buy it now. We'd like to find a nice family oriented neighborhood, with good schools, trees and is safe. Any info would be great, thank you! Take care!

-Monika

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
238 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Sacramento

That is a really hard question to answer without knowing what are your financial circumstances. Though I live in San Francisco, I am from Sacramento, my parents, 2 sisters and a lot of friends still live there- so, I do have an idea about neighborhoods.

There are parts of Sacramento proper that are quite lovely (Land Park, for example), but are now very expensive. A lot of people I know in Sacramento are moving to the outer areas- Elk Grove and Folsom.

My sister moved to Elk Grove (she has children). There are a lot of nice areas there, housing is generally less expensive than a lot of areas in Sacramento, and I think some of the schools are good. However, you do need to check into this more.

I have a very good friend from the Bay Area whose husband was transferred to Folsom. They ended up buying a house in Folsom- one of the newer areas along Hwy 50 right before El Dorado Hills. She lives in a lovely area. She belongs to mother's groups, her kids are involved in a lot of activities, and they play outside with the neighbors. While she would have preferred to be in Sacramento proper (so that she could travel back and forth to the Bay Area), they were able to get much more of a house in Folsom. Her main complaint though... very little diversity where they live.

Dublin, CA
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Sacramento

Well financially we should be able to afford some kind of house. Our townhouse now is worth about 650k, and we can spend about that much on a new house. If possible we'd like to get something a little cheaper but we could go up to 650 if we had to. I've heard that Folsom is very nice.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
238 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Sacramento

You could get a nice house for $650K. I have a good friend who just bought a 3,600 sq ft place in Natomas (one of the newer parts) for $750K (but that is a huge house with 3 car garage, and it looks amazing). I also know another person who bought a 3,400 sq ft place in Elk Grove for $650K (but I haven't seen it, so I cannot tell you how nice it is).

One thing about the outer areas- at least that I have noticed- there seem to be more families with young children living there. My parents live in Land Park, and though there are children there... it is more sporadic.

My friends love living in Folsom- in spite of the distance to SF, and the lack of diversity.

Dublin, CA
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Sacramento

Thank you for your help simone! I think we're going to take a day trip to folsom this weekend and check things out. My best friend lives in Natomas and she likes it pretty well. We've looked at houses there already so I kind of know what's there, but I'm not sure about the schools there. Thanks again!

Sacramento
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Sacramento

Placer County is great for families and the schools are just about the best in the area. For $650k, you should be able to find something nice in Roseville, Rocklin or Lincoln. Folsom is also very nice.

Placerville, CA
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Sacramento

Hi Monika,

Like other posters have said, there are some lovely areas in Sacramento proper - Land Park, the Pocket area, some areas of midtown and East Sac (ooh, the Fabulous Forties area!!) but...if you plan on having kids, please consider the school districts.

When I moved up here from So Cal, I was a teacher in LA city schools. We had some trainers from Sacramento, and I asked them which communities would be the best to live in...their answers...from 6 of them...hands down, stay out of the Sacramento Unified School District. Go for Folsom-Cordova school district, or Buckeye Union School district in the foothills.

We checked out all of the areas...didn't like Rancho Cordova one bit. Folsom is beautiful, masterplanned, lots of family activities, but we were leaving the suburbs in Simi Valley. Buckeye Union School District serves the foothills off hwy 50- El Dorado Hills, Cameron Park, and Shingle Springs. I love our "country" schools up here. I love that the principal and office staff know my daughter (and NOT because she's a bad kid!!). I love that I bump into other families when I shop, which never happened to me in the 30 years that I lived in Simi Valley. I love that I live someplace that other people come to vacation at. I love the smell of the oak trees in the morning, and I love the sound of wild turkeys gobbling in the morning, and seeing deer in the evenings. I woke up this morning to geese honking over my house. I love that the houses are not tract houses, and there are many areas where homes are on 5 acre parcels. I love that afterschool care is $2 per hour!!

A note about Sac City Unified School District.... when I moved here, I quit teaching and took a job with the state. Last year, I decided that I really missed teaching and so took a job with Sac City Unified. That was two months of pure he**. I had kids fistfighting in my room, I got pushed up against a bookcase in the first fight. The principal wouldn't suspend these kids, let alone expel them. They got a "time out" in another room for a couple of hours. I don't know how the schools are in the "nicer" parts of town like Land Park...but I wouldn't go near Sac City School District if that is their management (or lack of) style.

So...I guess it depends on if you want suburban life, or country life. Suburban life, I'd go for Folsom or El Dorado Hills, both very lovely, safe, good places for kids. Country life, I'd go for the communities up hwy 50...up to about Placerville, if you're commuting into Sacramento.

Just thinking safety issues, I personally would stay away from South Sacramento, Oak Park, Meadowview/Florin, Del Paso Heights, parts of Rancho Cordova, parts of Citrus Heights. Not that all of the people in these communities are a problem, just not where I feel particularly safe.

Good luck!

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
3,780 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to Sacramento

I would check out the outlying ares like Folsom, Roseville or Elk Grove. It depends on where you'll be working since traffic is starting to be a real problem in Sac. Too many Bay Area drivers moving out here I guess. I think we can handle a couple more though.

Good Luck! -TJ

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
23,991 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to Sacramento

If you don't want the awful headach of having to drive the freeways to work each day, and will be working in downtown Sac. look at Land Park, South Land Park and parts of the pocket area. There are some great homes there, with large lots and quiet streets. If you don't mind having to spend time on the hugly crowded freeways, then look towards the "outskirts". Also, if freeway time isn't an issue-you might want to look as far south as Lodi............you could buy something quite lovely for less than in Sac. and have a good college fund for the kids!

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving to Sacramento

My goodness if you want your kids to be in a neighborhood school don't choose Elk Grove. That place is growing so fast that they can't keep up with the school situation. Parents have to stand in line so their kids can get into their home school.

If you want to live in Sacramento I would plan on private school.

Sacramento
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moving to Sacramento

Look to the Placer County communities of Roseville or Rocklin for the best schools and quality of life. The public schools in Placer are some of the best in the state.