We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sattui wines?

Allentown
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Sattui wines?

I don't understand all the extremley positives reviews about the wine here. Last summer my wife and I stopped and sampled 5 or 6 and not a single one did either of us find applealing. Everthing was sweet and thin. Is this what people like?

Other wineries had much better. Raymond, Sterling, and Sequoia Grove to name a few.

It just seems very strange to me as I generally agree with others on review sites.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sattui wines?

Did you taste the dessert wine, Madeira? It is one of the best dessert wines (tawny port style) I have experienced! Almost as good as Niepport 20 year Tawny.

Mentioned in this post
Madeira
Madeira
Madeira Islands, Portugal
Level Contributor
37,627 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sattui wines?

Their Gamay Rouge is nice. :)

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sattui wines?

They were recently named best winery in California for the second time in three years by the California State fair. They had eight best of class, one best of region, 9 gold medal winners and 1 double gold. Not bad when the fair had over 650 wineries entered from over the entire state with around 3,000 wines.

SJ, PR
Level Contributor
322 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sattui wines?

I agree with HankW - the regular wines were nothing to write home about. But then, they hit you with the Madeira, and the next thing you know is that you are standing in line to pay for that.

Mentioned in this post
Madeira
Madeira
Madeira Islands, Portugal
Allentown
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sattui wines?

Thank all but I must disagree. Nearly everone raves about the madeira and gamay rouge.While I did not sample the madeira, I did have the gamay and found it very sweet.

I have not seem any praise on the merlots or cabs. Next time head down the road to Raymond and have a taste of their Reserve cabernet.

If you still prefer the Sattui gamay , then that explains it.

6. Re: Sattui wines?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:23 am, August 12, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Rutherford