We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road trip between Portland and Napa?

Napa Valley...
Level Contributor
354 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
road trip between Portland and Napa?

Hi.

We'll be driving ROUNDTRIP between SF (actually Napa) and Portland this August. We plan to drive only about 4 hours each day so that our 9yo daughter isn't miserable.

I-5 will be our main route.

What would be some lovely and/or fun places to visit or spend the night? What do you suggest for sightseeing or hiking/biking? Do you know of any hotels/motels/cabins, especially someplace with a pool?

(We had to exclude the Ashland Shakespeare festival because the plays appropriate for our daughter start after her bedtime each night!)

We enjoy outdoorsy stuff. We could do 2+ days in each direction.

Thanks in advance!

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road trip between Portland and Napa?

Hi Celle

Would you consider ca 101? Or is I 5 fixed?

Napa Valley...
Level Contributor
354 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: road trip between Portland and Napa?

Tet,

What do you suggest?

ANd how long (driving time) would the trip be?

Thanks very much,

Celle

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: road trip between Portland and Napa?

Hi Celle

Fellow reviewers gave you great info on the Oregon Forum already.

From Napa to Crescent City on 101 is 350 miles, 6.5 hours and Crescent City to Portland along 199/I 5 is 325 Miles, 5.5 hours. (no sightseeing) I would visit Humboldt Redwoods SP along I 101 and drive the Avenue of the Giants with drive-thru trees and the tallest trees in the world up to 350 ft. Then Redwood NP north of Eureka. If you have the time visit Crater Lake NP, Or (only on a sunny day) NE of Medford and the Sisters area west of Bend, and Lassen Vulcanic NP in Cal. on your way back to Napa. Driving only 4 hours per day and do the sightseeing, this trip Napa-Portland-Napa takes one week at least. I'm not familiar with Disneylandlikeplaces, so I can't be of any help to your daughter on that, but she will love those trees I can assure you. And probably she likes beaches. Oregon has great one's but add some days to your itinerary then.

Tet

Napa Valley...
Level Contributor
354 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: road trip between Portland and Napa?

Tet,

Thank you for the great help!

5. Re: road trip between Portland and Napa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 am, August 14, 2009