We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motel 6

Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Motel 6

Hi guys, we are thinking about booking motel 6 in Pismo Beach for a one night stop over in August. We are on a tight budget, but noticed that it seems a little away from the centre of town/pier. Is there a taxi service that we may avail of if we go into town at night, and if so, are they expensive? or should we just pay the extra and stay closer to amenities?

Thank you in advance

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,926 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Motel 6

How are you getting to Pismo Beach in the first place?

Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Motel 6

We are driving, but would like to be able to have a drink with dinner that evening.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Motel 6

Motel 6's are *very* basic. I stayed at the one in Paso Robles a couple of weeks ago because it was grad weekend at SLO and it was all I could get. On the way back we stayed at a *much* nicer place practically next door for $25 more.

Of course, the Motel 6 rate was higher than normal because of grad weekend, but honestly, look around and I'll bet you can find something nicer and closer for not *that* much more. Check the TA reviews. The second place we stayed was not a chain and might not have been on my radar if I hadn't.

Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Motel 6

Pismo is only a few minutes drive from where you are staying. Maybe 1 or 2 exits up the freeway. If you're only going to have 1 or 2 drinks I don't think it would be a problem. There are also restaurants in Arroyo Grande that you might consider.

If you want something fun to do at night I would suggest the Great American Melodrama for live entertainment. Its in Oceano, only a few minutes up Hwy 1 from Grover. Also if you want to stroll the beach there is a parking lot by the Grover beach ramp. You can leave your car there and walk down to the water. It's much less crowded than the Pismo pier parking lot.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Motel 6

"..... If you're only going to have 1 or 2 drinks I don't think it would be a problem."....

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A local woman thought the same thing a few years ago, but got busted for DUI when she left the Seaventure after having dinner and drinks with a friend. The police were waiting outside watching people leave the restaurant. Just an FYI.

The Motel 6 in Pismo Beach isn't near much in the way of restaurants where you would want to drink & dine. Because taxi's are in low demand, I suspect the price may be on the high side. Not to mention the wait for a cab to show up at your hotel and again at the restaurant when you're ready to leave.

There are a few lower end options in/near downtown Pismo Beach that may work better for what you would like to do. Look at Beachwalker or Ocean Palms. The Tides Motel might be another option.

Edited: 6:27 pm, July 23, 2013
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Motel 6

Thanks for the advice guys. Went with ocean palms.

Pismo Beach...
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Motel 6

I just thought I'd note, there is a Denny's next to the Motel 6 in Pismo Beach. I believe they at least serve beer and wine. There are probably also a couple of small restaurants (may or may not be open for dinner) in the shopping center across the street. Plus a Coco's and another similar restaurant along the freeway, all within reasonable walking distance.

The quickest way to get to the beach from there is via a very short, but occasionally exciting drive on the 101 freeway. And traffic in the pier area is often congested with pedestrians, bikes and skateboards. I wouldn't recommend that anyone attempt driving this if under the slightest degree of "impairment."

8. Re: Motel 6

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, July 26, 2014