We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic Restaurant For Husbands Birthday Dinner

Which Pismo Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
43 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Romantic Restaurant For Husbands Birthday Dinner

My husband and I will be staying at the Sea Venture Hotel on June 28th and 29th to celebrate his 52nd birthday. I have booked the celebration package at the hotel and now I am looking for a restaurant for his birthday dinner. We stayed at the Sea Venture about 10 or more years ago and at dinner in their restaurant. I don't remember it being either impressive or horrible. My husband and I love steak and seafood, although neither of us is really very picky. I am considering trying the restaurant at Sea Venture again or Ventana Grill, Steamers, Lido's. I would love an ocean view at sunset. Any and all thoughts and/or ideas are appreciated.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,420 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic Restaurant For Husbands Birthday Dinner

Hi Becky

I think any of those restaurants would be fine for sunset dining. You might also want to consider Marisol at The Cliffs. I'm partial to the Ventana Grill. I think their location, which has the feel of sitting over the water, is hard to beat. And the California fusion fare is quite good. I haven't tried Steamers. I know they're affiliated with McClintock's, but McClintock's hasn't impressed me much the last few years. But that's just my opinion.

Keep in mind that this is our fog season, so it's possible there might not be a sunset view during your visit. At least you'll be out of the Bakersfield heat. :-)

So.Cal
Level Contributor
305 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic Restaurant For Husbands Birthday Dinner

We stayed at the Sea Venture last fall and ate at their restaurant. We weren't crazy about the hotel - picked a room with the hot tub on the balcony, thinking it would be romantic. Possibly we just got a poor room, but once we saw it, it was a little depressing - tiny room so stuffed with furniture that you could hardly walk around, no view, dark & gloomy balcony, water pooled on the balcony that was a little moldy smelling. I'd book one of the better rooms and make sure to check the room before you get settled in. Ask to move if you're not happy with it.

On the other hand, we loved the restaurant. We had excellent food and service for a reasonable price. We also loved getting a free bottle of wine and the breakfast delivered to the room. No view the night we were there (in September) - completely fogged in.

Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
43 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic Restaurant For Husbands Birthday Dinner

Thanks for the info. I had no idea Steamers was affiliated with McClintocks, good to know. I have only eaten at Mc Clintocks once and I was overly impressed. I didn't even think about the fog. Like you said, it will be nice just to get out of the heat in Bakersfield.

I am a little bit afraid that the dated green rooms at the Sea Venture will bother me. We are paying a pretty penny for the room and I must confess that I am a bit concerned, however Sea Venture seems to still get really good reviews here on TA. I really like to get a room with a Jacuzzi tub and my dh likes to be close to the pier. Any other recommendations?

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic Restaurant For Husbands Birthday Dinner

No ocean view but if you would like a hot tub in your room, Sycamore Mineral Springs is lovely (and the restaurant is excellent on most days).

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,420 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic Restaurant For Husbands Birthday Dinner

Another lodging option, also without views, but a short walk down to the beach and pier, is Avila La Fonda in Avila Beach. Their Mediterranean decorated rooms have indoor jacuzzi tubs.

http://www.avilalafonda.com/spa-room.php

Not sure what else is in the area with jacuzzi tubs, other than what's already been mentioned.

Edited: 10:57 pm, June 19, 2013
Fresno, California
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Romantic Restaurant For Husbands Birthday Dinner

We've enjoyed the Avila Village Inn which also has spa tubs on the balcony of many of its rooms. Its located not far from Sycamore Springs.

http://www.avilavillageinn.com

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g29124-d543141-…

7. Re: Romantic Restaurant For Husbands Birthday Dinner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 21, 2014