We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pismo to monterey

Melbourne
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Topic
Pismo to monterey

Doing this drive in a few days from BW shore cliff. I am looking for ideas on route to take.. What time to depart from pismo and any good stop overs on the way.. We have a pretty relaxed schedule.. Want to get to Monterey for sunset

Thx

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,496 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pismo to monterey

Take Highway 101 north into San Luis Obispo and connect with Highway 1 toward Morro Bay/Hearst Castle. This route will take you along the scenic coastline and through the coastal towns of Morro Bay, Cayucos, Cambria and San Simeon and up through Big Sur.

Allow at least 6-8 hours for the drive and scenic stops along the way.

Scenic stops:

Morro Bay/Rock

Hearst Castle (Even if for just a walk through of the Visitor's Center)

Elephant seal rookery 4 miles north of Hearst Castle

Ragged Point

McWay Falls @ Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park (Famous ribbon waterfall that drops onto an inaccessible beach..... Beautiful!!)

Nepenthe/Phoenix Shop (Lunch with a view and awesome gift shop)

Bixby Bridge (Famous arch bridge used in many car ads here)

Point Lobos State Reserve (A MUST. Needs at least 2 hours. Can be done while visiting Monterey, if you have more than 1 night in the area)

Great places to watch the sunset in/around Monterey:

Point Lobos

Carmel Beach

Asilomar Beach

Edited: 9:56 am, May 23, 2012
San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,433 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pismo to monterey

Kibblesmom provided the answer, I'll just add this link. Another member of this forum posted nice travelogue of the area, although he did the trip north-to-south, so the sights are in the opposite order that you will come to them. But you may want to take a look at this page of photos. https://picasaweb.google.com/Mjneenan/Califo…

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,389 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pismo to monterey

I have to respectfully disagree with Kibblesmom (good morning btw) --- that Phoenix gift shop just below Nepenthe is a dangerous place to visit not due to its location which is really lovely -- steer clear off that place and go straight up to the restaurant --this was a few years ago and what was meant to be a -- let me just take a quick look for 5 minutes , said the DW, turned out to be about a 45 visit with many bags being filled -- and now anytime we go there, we spend a long time there.

LOL Wink Wink

Normally I dont mind as I can have couple of drinks and enjoy the view but unless you are staying in Big Sur, drinking and driving is really not advised (and no kidding there)

Level Contributor
35,740 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pismo to monterey

We were in Monterey and Carmel this past weekend. The Carmel Beach ;is one of our favorite places to catch a sunset. We enjoyed great meals at Casanova for dinner and La Bicyclette for lunch.

Enjoy your time at the coast! :)

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,496 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pismo to monterey

Hahaha, belomiser. Too funny!!

BTW- I like your wife :-)

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pismo to monterey

everyone has done a great job for you. Enjoy and do plan to have lots of time for stops. It's rated by AAA as one of the most beautiful drives in America.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pismo to monterey

Thanks all..great info! We are departing tomm.

8. Re: Pismo to monterey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, June 21, 2013