We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pismo for 3 days: restaurant recommendations?

Which Pismo Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
159 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Pismo for 3 days: restaurant recommendations?

Any recommendations for restaurants?

Staing in Pismo at seacrest for 3 days in may :)

Happy mother's day!! Woot Woot!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,042 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pismo for 3 days: restaurant recommendations?

Hi luvtoteachkinder

At the top of Seacrest's parking lot is a Marie Callender's, a few blocks toward town is Steamer's of Pismo next to the Kon Tiki Inn, in the opposite direction is Ventana Grill at the Shore Cliff Lodge. All those are within walking distance of the Seacrest.

Additional options you can research:

Rosa's Italian

F McClintock's Saloon & Dining House (Steak & ribs)

Mo's BBQ in downtown Pismo

Spash Cafe in downtown Pismo (Famous for clam chowder)

Zorro's Cafe in the village of Shell Beach (great for breakfast)

Custom House in nearby Avila Beach (great breakfast/lunch spot overlooking the beach/pier)

De Palo & Sons next to the Shell Station in Shell Beach (made to order sandwiches/salads)

Fine dining:

Lido's @ Dolphin Bay Resort

Marisol @ The Cliffs Resort

The Gardens of Avila @ Sycamore Mineral Springs

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
44 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pismo for 3 days: restaurant recommendations?

Dear luvtoteachkinder

I've got to put a huge and well-deserved plug in for 1) Giuseppe's Cucina Italiana in Pismo Beach (http://www.giuseppesrestaurant.com/). Take it from a born and bred Neapolitan. Glorious food and the noise one expects from a fine Italian restaurant. 2) Splash Cafe. Superb clam chowder.

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pismo for 3 days: restaurant recommendations?

I would recommend you venture outside of Pismo for some meals. In Nipoma is a famous or infamous steakhouse - very western and quaint called Jocko's. Worth the wait if you like steak.

Also for romance and Italian go to Cafe Roma in SLO. It's a drive but our very favorite romantic restaurant with extraordinary food is Black Cat Bistro in Cambria. And let's face it, Cambria is so lovely it's wonderful to take a drive there.

Lots of great places in SLO and Morro Bay as well as Grover, Arroyo Grande and Pismo. I'd just research all over central coast towns on Trip Advisor! Have fun!

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,358 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pismo for 3 days: restaurant recommendations?

We ate at the Cracked Crab in Pismo Beach last month and really enjoyed it. We also had some fish and chips at the Splash Cafe'. This is a very busy and hurried restaurant and not very comfortable. It was just OK. A lot of people were taking take-out which is probably the way to go. This is also the place where we saw the "Cali Burger".

Kibblesmom - we tried to find a restaurant we ate at back in the mid-90's. It was in downtown Pismo Beach near the beach. I think it was in a hotel. At the time, it was one of the best restaurants around. I also remember that they did special winemaker dinners with local vintners. We looked around but could not find anything like that now. Do you remember such a place?

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pismo for 3 days: restaurant recommendations?

Perhaps the Sea Venture? Splash Cafe has lost its "splash" IMO. Cracked Crab is delicious and a fun experience but quite expensive. If you want a scaled down meal try Giuseppes Express (right across from Giuseppes). You can buy a bottle of wine and take up the couple of indoor or outdoor tables with to die for stromboli, pizza, desserts or salads.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,042 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pismo for 3 days: restaurant recommendations?

Yeah, I was thinking Sea Venture, too, although it's a bit out of the downtown core and ON the beach, not near it.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,358 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pismo for 3 days: restaurant recommendations?

The Cracked Crab is not that expensive if you stay away from the buckets and shellfish. Our meals were quite reasonable and very tasty. And, our Tangent Sauvignon Blanc was reasonably priced too. I wish we had a place like this in Napa.

California
Level Contributor
465 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pismo for 3 days: restaurant recommendations?

Agree on Cracked Crab as a good choice based on repeat visits (and that it's price point is not bad, but we also don't order big buckets). What is overpriced and overrated, IMO, is McClintock's.

Had really good ribs at Mo's this past weekend.

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pismo for 3 days: restaurant recommendations?

IMO Mo's has the best barbeque. Yes, McClintocks in Shell Beach is overpriced (it's the show and ridiculous quantiities of food you pay for) but the one in Arroyo Grande is much more laid back and reasonably priced. I have to say it's the crab buckets at Cracked Crab that are both fun and delicious and yes, they are expensive.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,042 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pismo for 3 days: restaurant recommendations?

Maybe Cracked Crab's pay point is due in part from the fact they get some of their seafood from these guys:

sanluisobispo.com/2010/12/09/1401294/deadlie…

Also agree that McClintock's in the village is good. You pay for the views at the Shell Beach location.

Edited: 2:12 am, April 28, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Pismo Beach