We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need HELP!--Pismo Beach or Santa Maria???

Which Pismo Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need HELP!--Pismo Beach or Santa Maria???

Hi there,

I really some help on deciding where to stay since I've never been to the area. I'll be attending a convention in Santa Maria, everyday from 10am-12pm noon. I really want to stay in Pismo Beach or even Grover Beach, BUT I'm very concerned about the traffic and how long it takes.

Does anyone know what the traffic is like in this area and on average how long it would take to get from Pismo to S. Maria and vice versa?

We'll be there for about two weeks from Oct. 10th-Oct.21st.

Any advice on where to stay such as hotels or vacation rentals would also be GREATLY appreciated! :)

Thank you!!

Level Contributor
34,218 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need HELP!--Pismo Beach or Santa Maria???

There are many nice hotels to choose from in the Pismo area. The Sea Venture is right on the sand and close to the Pismo Pier. We love the Shell Beach area also, just minutes away from Pismo. Check out the Cliffs Resort in this area. www.centralcoast.com :)

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,435 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need HELP!--Pismo Beach or Santa Maria???

Where is the convention in Santa Maria being held? That way I can tell you how long of a drive you would be looking at, should you decide to stay in Pismo Beach.

I can tell you this: It's a pretty straight shot down Highway 101. I used to work in Santa Maria and live in Grover Beach. It took me about 20 minutes to get to my job 18 miles away. However... I left for work @ 5:30 am, so I had little traffic to deal with. While the 101 can become slow during commute time, it isn't anywhere near as bad as major metropolitan areas.

The only place in Grover Beach worth staying in is the Holiday Inn Express. Nice property tucked into an oak studded hillside. The only downside to the location is it's brutal getting out of the parking lot because the entrance/exit is just past a major intersection and cars making a right turn there just keep on coming.

How much are you willing to spend per night on lodging?

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need HELP!--Pismo Beach or Santa Maria???

I thnk you'll be okay particularly if you chose something closer to a freeway ramp in Pismo.

Maybe 30 minutes to 45 minutes. I wouldn't think you will have much problem in the middle of the day with traffic.

Central Ca.
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need HELP!--Pismo Beach or Santa Maria???

For the length of your stay, I would personally prefer a condo over a hotel. If you find the commute is something you want to do, here is a site that will give you an idea about available condos.

www.pismobeachvacation.com/pismo_summary.asp

Kibbles, might be able to help with exact location if you narrow it down a bit.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,435 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need HELP!--Pismo Beach or Santa Maria???

From GWC_7's reply:

..."Kibbles, might be able to help with exact location if you narrow it down a bit...."

Be happy to!*

* Try to avoid vaca rentals that allow dogs. A friend of mine (who lived in New Mexico at the time) rented a Pismo Beach vaca rental that allowed dogs and she said the place had a terrible smell. She wouldn't even allow her friends to come by, it was that bad!

I'll take a look at the link and let you know if I see a place that looks good.

Edited: 12:46 pm, March 04, 2011
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,435 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need HELP!--Pismo Beach or Santa Maria???

I found this one on VRBO.com. Looks very nice and a good price for the area!:

http://www.vrbo.com/245958

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,043 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need HELP!--Pismo Beach or Santa Maria???

Another option is an ocean front suite at the Seagypsy. They are like little condo's with kitchen etc.. and the location is great. If you do this make them promise a top floor unit. The place was built a while ago and the people above if any will be heard every time they walk around.

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need HELP!--Pismo Beach or Santa Maria???

I was going to recommend vacation rentals too. So many here in Pismo area. And yes, you DO want Pismo, Arroyo Grande or Grover because you are part of a beach town. And the direction you will be going I don't think you will run into any traffic. Give yourself 30 minutes. Grab a coffee before you go and be all zened out when you arrive. So much to do in the coastal towns I mentioned. On your days off you will be so glad you are staying here.

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need HELP!--Pismo Beach or Santa Maria???

I commuted from Pismo to SM daily for years - it takes 20 minutes and there is almost never any traffic to the point of slowing down (barring road construction or accidents). That's to north or central SM right off the freeway - if you are meeting somewhere a distance from the freeway, it will take longer, and there IS traffic in Santa Maria.

Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need HELP!--Pismo Beach or Santa Maria???

I rented a place from Pismobeachvacation.com last year and had a good experience. If you are interested in being right on the beach I would check the Oceano portion of their site. We rented a house on the beach and it wasn't much more than staying in a hotel. especially since we made our won meals most days. Had my coffee & read the paper on the back patio looking out at the ocean every morning. Dug a pit in the sand 20 yds away and had a camp fire/hot dog roast. It was a great week.

Oceano is part of the 5 cities area (Pismo, Shell Beach, Oceano, Grover, & Arroyo Grande). These towns are located side by side and it is only minutes from one to the other.