We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not to miss Restaurants???

Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
249 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Not to miss Restaurants???

Hi, Husband and I just moved our travel trailer to Pismo Coast Village and plan on visiting once a month. I am looking for restaurant suggestions please. We have tried the following....

Splash... like very much!

Old Juans Cantina....worst mexican meal ever! Great margaritas!

Shell Cafe.... great breakfast and atmosphere but short staffed.

Old West Cinnamon Rolls.... YUMMMM need I say more!

Vons market on Grand Ave..... spent $25 on 2 tiny rib eyes to bbq and could not eat them!

Pier side.... not bad, but not great!

Orcut burger... Really good burger, fries and if u like fried zucinni dont miss this place

Fosters Donuts on Grand Ave.... YUCK! YUCK YUCK!!!

I think that sums it up..... Are there any great pizza joints? Mexican? BBQ? Diners? Any local favorites??? Please help! We eat out alot and dont mind paying for a good meal but errrr I hate experimenting with my hard earned $$$.

Level Contributor
36,963 posts
946 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not to miss Restaurants???

McClinktock's in Shell Beach has great BBQ food. We celebrated my daughter's 21st birthday there in Jan. For fine dining, Lido @ the Dolphin Bay Resort is very, very good, also in Shell Beach. Mirasol @ The Cliffs Resort has fantastic food. Right in Pismo is The Cracked Crab, a casual venue with good food. We also like Steamer's by the Kon Tiki Inn.

www.centralcoast.com Enjoy your time at the coast! :)

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not to miss Restaurants???

I hesitate to make a recommendation since we disagree on Splash.

Have you tried Giuseppe's (the real restaurant)?

Even the yelpers like it.

Just be prepared to wait.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,106 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not to miss Restaurants???

Hi caligurl

You come from a mecca of great places to eat. I moved here from Bako 22 years ago. We rarely dine out here because the food is mediocre at best. The Mexican food here sucks. Plenty of hole in the wall Mexican places, but nothing like what you have in Bakersfield. I share your sentiment about Old Juan's. No spice, no flavor. All the Mexican restaurants here are similar, like in the way that Mexicali & Sinaloa are similar.

Having said my piece, here's a list of places for you to try:

Steak: Jocko's in Nipomo is THE place for steak and other BBQ items.

Pizza: Del's Pizzeria at the entrance to Shell Beach

Italian: Rosa's (owned by members of the same family that own Rosa's on Columbus in Bakersfield. The food here is better, except for the pizza) or Guiseppe's, both on Price Street.

American: Old Custom House in Avila Beach (breakfast-lunch-dinner) across from the beach and pier

Diners: Margie's in San Luis Obispo (Los Osos Valley Road exit, left turn on Calle Joaquin Road).

Sandwiches: De Palo & Sons next to the Shell Station in Shell Beach (made to order)

Higher end dining:

Lido's @ Dolphin Bay Resort

Marisol @ The Cliffs Resort

Gardens Of Avila @ Sycamore Mineral Springs

Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
249 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not to miss Restaurants???

Thanks for the replies... Yes The Old Custom House is one of our favorites (forgot to mention that). As for Splash I dont think they have the greatest clam chowder as their recipe is quite unique, but I do think it stands alone as a great soup on its own. We will have to try Rosas as ours is really good here. We are also familiar with Margies Diner. We stop at the one in Atascadero on the way home, but have never been to the ine in SLO. Also forgot to mention Firestone Grill in SLO is very good! It would be nice if Pismo had more options so we didnt have to spend time in the car. We like riding our bikes into town. It looks like we might be cooking more at the campsite... Kinda fun though! Thanks for the help with suggestions.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,106 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not to miss Restaurants???

Mo's BBQ in downtown Pismo just popped into my mind while I was reading your last response. They have pretty good food. My sister and niece (still Bako people) like Brad's next to Mo's.

Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
249 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Not to miss Restaurants???

Kibblesmom.... How is the Girls Cafe? And also we see alot of people with pizza slices on the boardwalk on Avilla... Know where it comes from n if it is worthy???

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,106 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Not to miss Restaurants???

I've never tried The Girl's restaurant, nor the pizza in Avila. If you do, let me know what you think.

8. Re: Not to miss Restaurants???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 28, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Pismo Beach