We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any beach tar on Pismo beach?

Indiana
2 posts
Save Topic
Any beach tar on Pismo beach?

We are planning a vacation in the area and I just learned about beach tar in Santa Barbara. Does it affect Pismo Beach or Oceano?

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,227 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any beach tar on Pismo beach?

Actually Pismo means tar in the language of the Chumash Indians.It's not like you would see an oil slick or something,they are just small clumps of tar.And if you weren't looking for it ,I doubt you would even notice.I would not worry about it at all.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,077 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any beach tar on Pismo beach?

You may notice black clumps on the beach, which you can easily avoid by walking around or over it. It isn't like the whole beach is covered in a slick, oily goo.

And, yes, we do occasionally see this on our local beaches, but I have never seen it deter anyone from walking, playing, surfing, etc.

Indiana
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Any beach tar on Pismo beach?

Thank you both! Any ideas what kind of shoes may be easiest to clean (if we walk after dark and do step into it)? Thanks again!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,077 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any beach tar on Pismo beach?

Oil tar on the beach is a pretty rare occurrence and you're not likely to encounter it. I usually just walk the beach in my athletic shoes, but many folks wear crocs or water shoes on the beach.

You should consider walking out on the pier or along the boardwalk after dark, though. Sometimes high tide occurs later in the day, which makes beach walking difficult.

5. Re: Any beach tar on Pismo beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, October 22, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Pismo Beach