We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spyglass Inn in Pismo Beach?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Spyglass Inn in Pismo Beach?

Have any of you stayed at Spyglass Inn? Or heard anything good or bad? We will be driving from LA to SF and think this would be a nice place to stop for Memorial Day weekend. We will have an ocean view room. Can we visit local wineries for tastings? Need recommendations for nice place for breakfast, good restaurants-not to pricey, local seafood, etc.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spyglass Inn in Pismo Beach?

I have never stayed there but it looks like a nice place. McLintock's Restaurant is near there and has been popular for a long time. Alex's in Shell Beach has pretty good ribs though I haven't eaten there in over a year. Pismo Fish & Chips is where we always go for my wife's favorite F&C. Ask for the light batter. Kibblesmom lives in Grover Beach and can give you some better ideas.

Paso Robles/Templeton is about 1/2 hour north on Hwy 101. There are over 100 wineries to choose from. A bit closer is Edna Valley. I haven't tasted at any of these wineries but I know there are some good ones there, though not near as many as the PR area. You can get maps to these wineries on google. Most of these wineries charge a tasting fee, usually $5.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,741 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spyglass Inn in Pismo Beach?

The Spyglass Inn is in a nice location. Can't comment on the rooms, though, as I've never been inside them. The Cottage Inn or Pismo Lighthouse Suites are very nice. I have been inside them and they're nicely decorated. The Kon Tiki Inn gets lots of favorable reviews and is closer to breakfast options.

For breakfast, the places that come to mind are JJ's at the Beach in downtown Pismo or Zorro's Cafe on Shell Beach Road, which is down the street from Spyglass in the village of Shell Beach. There's also Old West Cinnamon Rolls on Dolliver in Downtown Pismo, which is a Pismo favorite.

Other local dining options include Rosa's for Italian, Guiseppe's for Italian ( kind of expensive, though ), Old Vienna for German ( my local favorite restaurant ), Splash Cafe for clam chowder, Steamers of Pismo for seafood, Olde Port Inn in Avila Beach for seafood. Keep in mind our local seafood restaurants are not cheap.

I'll be back. have to go

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spyglass Inn in Pismo Beach?

Have you checked the TA reviews? If you have never used this feature, just go to the main TA page, and fill in Spyglass Inn, Pismo Beach, in the box and it will give you the listing, then click on it and read the reviews. They are a bit mixed. I do personally know that the Spyglass Inn is at least 25 years old, perhaps a bit more, so you could call and ask how recently they have remodeled.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,741 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spyglass Inn in Pismo Beach?

OK, I'm back.

Gdude7 recommended Edna Valley for wine tasting and I concur. Edna Valley is a short distance east of Pismo Beach, and is a lovely area with good wineries and beautiful views.

You can access Edna Valley by taking the 101 southbound to the Hinds Ave off-ramp and making a left hand turn. The road will become Price Canyon Road and ends at Hwy 227, which will put you in Edna Valley. If you turn right you can access Corbett Canyon Road (left turn off 227) and visit Kynsi Winery (an excellent winery in an small, older building). Churchill & Claiborne is off 227 in this area, as well. If you turn left from Price Canyon Road onto 227, continue to Biddle Ranch Road and turn right. Edna Valley Winery will be on the right. This winery has a fabulous tasting room with the most awesome views of the vineyards looking toward Islay Hill in San Luis Obispo ( a dormant volcano, BTW ). Other nearby wineries include Baileyana & Tolosa, but there are many others, as well.

The Paso Robles area is quickly becoming as popular as Napa and you have many, many options for wine tasting here. You can enjoy the local wineries here then take Hwy 46 West to Cambria and visit this lovely town before taking Hwy 1 southward through Cayucos, Morro Bay & back to San Luis Obispo, picking up the 101 back to Pismo.

Is there anything else you would like to know?

BTW- There's an excellent deli/liquor store across from the Spyglass Inn called De Palo & Sons that serves very good sandwiches made to order.

Northridge, CA
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Spyglass Inn in Pismo Beach?

My fiance's gift to me this Christmas is a three night stay at the Spyglass Inn. I am excited because I am a grad student and this will be a much needed break! I was hoping someone could recommend some things for us to do while we are there (weather permitting). We are planning on going to Hearst Castle and to Monarch Grove. Any other suggestions for a couple of 24 year-olds would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,741 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spyglass Inn in Pismo Beach?

beachbum

Since you plan on visiting Hearst Castle, be sure to visit the town of Cambria before or after your tour. This charming town has many lovely shops and restaurants, a wonderful ocean front boardwalk for enjoying a stroll along the ocean and is nestled within pine tree forests. We call it the "poor man's Carmel" around here.

The town of Morro Bay is famous for the large "rock" sitting at the edge of the sea at the harbor entrance. It also has many quaint shops and eating establishments for you to enjoy.

If you want to be more active, then a hike at Montana De Oro (south of Morro Bay) is a good place for that. There are several trails in the area, but my favorite is the bluff trail leading out to the jagged rock formations and watching the waves crash against them. Especially dramatic if a front is passing through. I would even do this hike if it was raining. Just bring spare shoes and a plastic bag to put your dirty shoes into after your hike. If the weather is good and the tide is out, there are stairs leading down to a beach where you will find tidepools. The jagged rocks can be slippery due to the seaweed growing over the rocks, so watch your footing.

If you and your fiance enjoy wine, then a trip to Paso Robles or Edna Valley is a not to be missed experience. Although the Paso Robles area offers better wine tasting options, I prefer the quieter Edna Valley with it's lovely vineyard views. Edna Valley Winery has the best view around, while the wines at off-the-beaten path Kynsi has excellent wines.

Nearby Avila Beach is a nice location to get some sun... if we have it.... and has a nice pier for walking out and enjoying the views toward Pismo Beach. The road to Avila is a lovely wooded drive. Along this road you'll find the Avila Valley Barn... a produce stand that also offers tasty baked goods and homemade ice cream. They even have a pick-your-own section.

Further along Avila Valley Drive is Sycamore Mineral Springs. They have hot spring tubs available you can rent that are nestled in the wooded hillsides of the property. You can rent a tub for the hour and ease the cares of the day away. It's better to go at night, but be sure to call and make a reservation ahead of time.

The Village Of Arroyo Grande is another charming Central Coast shopping area with several shops and a park behind the southside shops with a gazebo and swinging bridge.

7. Re: Spyglass Inn in Pismo Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, September 16, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Pismo Beach