We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I wanna golf @ pebble

Melrose, MA
Level Contributor
59 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
I wanna golf @ pebble

Planning on being in california the end of feb, 2007 and would love to golf at Pebble Beach.. I will be alone - any hints as to what I should do?

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
394 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I wanna golf @ pebble

hey fiorentini,

have you seen some of the other posts concerning 'walking-on' at Pebble??? might scan around and check them out. we were out there last Feb. same time, and we got lucky w/ the weather. the pro's had played one week, then it rained for about 4 days straight, ice-storm here in Dallas as we were leaving for the airport at 4:30am, then luckily it cleared-up & we had perfect weather for our 2 days of golfing out there. 12 of us in all.

monterrey penensula is pretty expensive, but if the weather is nice, worth every penny. would do it again if funds allowed. one post said that if you can't get on by phone, show up w/ a few Ben Franklin's in your pocket and try your luck w/ the starter. definately dedicate most of the entire day to exploring PB. go early, eat breakfast overlooking #1 tee or 18 green, go thru & buy merchandise to take home in the shops, take shuttle and hit balls at range, come back & hit putting green for a few minutes. watch a few others tee-off in front of you...take it all in especially if it's a once-in-a-lifetime trip like our was.

if you're partnered up, ask about splitting a caddy w/ someone. have the caddy take the cart & bags, and y'all walk. after a few shots he'll know your game & have 2-3 clubs waiting for you at your next shot, and he'll save you 10-15 strokes on the greens, guaranteed. listen to him...he knows.

have him take a pic of your foresome along the way, and come back & have a drink or stay & have dinner in The Tap Room, and remember, the pros were there just a few days ago. will make for a very memorable experience. not there to keep score as much as have fun.

didn't play Spyglass but buddies did and they said it was the hardest course they'd ever played. lost lots of balls. we played Spanish Bay our 2nd day and it was very nice, but kinda hard. if your ball lands in an ice plant, take a stroke, lick your wounds, & take the drop. they are tough.

if you have time, have a drink out on the deck at Roy's at the Inn at Spanish Bay around dusk, and catch the bagpipe player as he or she comes down #1 from tee to green and plays. very, very cool experience, especially having a drink & watching the sun set in the Pacific behind them. not to miss. every night just before sundown. reminded us alot of Payne Stewert's funeral and was very moving since we had a couple SMU (Payne's alma mater) boys w/ us.

have a great trip !

Level Contributor
36,205 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I wanna golf @ pebble

Yes, Roy's is very nice. There are firepits outside also, if the weather is cool and you want to hear the bagpiper play. This is a gorgeous area of the coast. I would recommend going into Carmel to do some shopping. The Carmel Plaza and the downtown areas are both very nice. There are many art galleries to browse through also and you could walk down to the white sand beach at the end of town in Carmel. Portabella, Casanova, Little Napoli are all nice places in Carmel for a meal. Enjoy your trip! :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I wanna golf @ pebble

It's been years, but both times I played Pebble, I just showed up without a tee time. Didn't have to wait more than two hours either time. So, I encourage you to take norman's advice, and have little to add except to say stay left off the 8th tee. Then, prepare yourself for a second shot that will at the same time have you awestruck at the beauty of it, and your heart in your throat at how difficult it looks.

Good luck!

4. Re: I wanna golf @ pebble

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, August 23, 2009