We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paso Robles or San Louis Obispo?

chicai
Level Contributor
42 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Paso Robles or San Louis Obispo?

hi

Which one to stay in for 2 nights? We like to do wine tasting, but we also like a bigger town? Can anyone give me some insight? Also recc's on places to stay and dine? thanks!

Uncorked Wine Tours
Wineries & Vineyards, Taxis & Shuttles, Beer Tastings & Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Breakaway Tours & Event Planning
Wine Tours & Tastings , Private Tours, Distillery Tours
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,919 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paso Robles or San Louis Obispo?

While most people associate Paso Robles as the local wine region, there IS wine country in/near San Luis Obispo, as well. Edna Valley offers several excellent wine tasting options just a few miles south of SLO. Tolosa, Edna Valley, Baileyana, Claiborne & Churchill, Kynsi are just a few good tasting options close to SLO.

Lodging: Holiday Inn Express, Petit Soleil, San Luis Creek Lodge, Garden Street Inn

Dining: Novo, Mo's BBQ, Firestone Grill

Paso Robles, of course, is premium Zin country. If you're into reds, this is your mecca. Yes, it's a sleepier town compared to SLO, but you wouldn't run out of options if you had a month to visit.

Lodging: Adelaide Inn, Black Oak Motel, Hampton Inn, Hotel Cheval

Dining: Artisan, Sinatra's. Enoteca

Edited: 11:29 am, February 01, 2013
Level Contributor
36,689 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paso Robles or San Louis Obispo?

La Bellaserra is a nice hotel in Paso. Our favorite restaurant in Paso is Artisan. You can make your reservations on opentable for this restaurant. Across the street is Panolivo which is also very good.

Paso Robles has some amazing wineries, pick up a map once you get there and have fun. Turley is one not to miss, they produce only Zins and they are awesome! :)

Southern California
Level Contributor
14,068 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Paso Robles or San Louis Obispo?

Have stayed at both BW Black Oak and Paso Robles Inn, the latter has a pretty good restaurant which serves Harris Ranch beef and a good wine list.

Level Contributor
36,689 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paso Robles or San Louis Obispo?

There is also a nice La Quinta in Paso Robles, right across the street from San Antonio Winery which produces some very good dessert wines. :)

Paso Robles...
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paso Robles or San Louis Obispo?

Both towns are nice in their own way, so of course it really comes down to how you'll spend your time. My 19 year old daughter lives in San Luis and fits right in. We have a weekend house in Paso and only make the trek to San Luis to make sure the daughter and her revolving door of roommates have enough Top Ramen to eat. If you like youthful action and a high quotient of hacky sac players and "Sharpie on cardboard" placard artists then San Luis is the town for you. Paso on the other hand appeals to a demographic that doesn't want to devote several dollars a day to park their car - or drive much whatsoever since this crowd is seasoned enough to know that their driving skills actually deteriorate after a few hours of wine tasting. From a wine enthusiasts perspective Paso wins hands down though yes there are many very good wineries in south SLO county. Paso is both enjoyable and convenient in that there are many tasting rooms in town (recommended: Anglim on Pine, Pianetta on 13th and Herman Story) and the town is very walkable. The wineries as a general rule focus on Rhone varietals so you will find as much Rousanne, Viognier and GSM as youll find Zin. Ditto with the restaurants - if you are a foodie I think you will be impressed with the number and quality of wonderful places in such a small downtown area: Artisan, Roberts and il Cortile are on the high end; Panolivo and Estrella are more moderate and Villa Creek is an option if you enjoy eating at the bar or prefer a cocktail over wine. Bistro Laurent serves excellent food and serves it very well - though I suppose not to the point where it has been fully embraced by those whose primary mode of transportation is a white pickup truck. Sinatra's has closed regretably. The greasy spoon selection is nothing short of heart arresting: Joe's on south Spring, CowGirl Cafe on Pine and Hoover's Beef Palace on the main and only drag in Templeton. The hotels in Paso, unfortunately, are generally a short car ride from the "action" downtown. They all cater to the wine crowd however and if you end up choosing the Marriott Coutyard, The La Quinta or Hampton Inn upon checking out you will probably hear yourself saying one or both of the following: "that was the nicest (Courtyard, Hampton, La Quinta) I've ever stayed in" and/or "why did you let me drink so much last night?" These hotels all try very hard. If you're looking to spend a bit more, Hotel Cheval which is downtown and La Bella Sera are in the $250 to $400 a night category and you tend to get what you pay for. Good luck with your decision!

Edited: 9:02 pm, February 12, 2013
Level Contributor
36,689 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paso Robles or San Louis Obispo?

Hotel Chavel is very, very nice! We did a tour of the property and some rooms not too long ago and loved this hotel. :).

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paso Robles or San Louis Obispo?

The dates I'd like to visit Paso Robles, there are only 3 hotels available: The Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express and La Bellasara. Which would you choose, if price wasn't a big issue?

The Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn Express are both priced at around $225/night, and there's a 2 room suite at La Bellasara priced at $325.

Which location would you recommend the most, if we'd like a quieter hotel?

Edited: 12:20 am, April 30, 2013
Richmond, California
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,169 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paso Robles or San Louis Obispo?

I'd go for La Bellasera. It's not a chain hotel, and the Enoteca restaurant there is a beautiful place. Of the restaurants mentioned above, Villa Creek is my favorite. Justin Vineyards is one of our favorite places, although it's a fairly long drive.

While you're in Paso, I would take the 30 minute drive down Highway 46 west to Cambria and have lunch one day. The western end of 46 has some of the finest scenery in California, with panoramic views across miles of hills to the Pacific, and with Morro Rock in the middle distance. And Cambria is a nice diversion with some amazing restaurants and the lovely Moonstone Beach boardwalk. Here's a picture of the view along the way.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/20486362

Edited: 9:01 am, April 30, 2013
Level Contributor
36,689 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paso Robles or San Louis Obispo?

La Belaserra is the best choice out of those! Another wonderful restaurant in Paso is Robert's. :)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paso Robles or San Louis Obispo?

What time of year are you travelling? Paso gets very warm in the summer -- SLO, or Cambria, are much cooler.