We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midweek in Paso, Taking train. No car. Advice, please!

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
14 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Midweek in Paso, Taking train. No car. Advice, please!

Hello, a friend and I are looking for a girlfriend get away to Paso. Our idea is to take Amtrak up on a Tuesday and return to LA on Thursday. My question is: how difficult will it be for us to get around (to wineries, restaurants, etc.) without a car? For example, would we be able to rent bikes or is there a winery shuttle? Any information would be welcome and surely helpful. This is the first time in this area for both of us and we'd like to make it fun, memorable, inexpensive and safe. Thanks for your ideas.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,242 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Midweek in Paso, Taking train. No car. Advice, please!

Most of the wineries are several miles outside of Paso Robles, so I wouldn't recommend it by bike.

There are a number of wine tours you can hire to visit the wine country:

The Wine Wrangler, Breakaway Tours or hiring a limo are your best options. This is something you can Google search and look for reviews to see what works best for you. Have fun!

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
14 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Midweek in Paso, Taking train. No car. Advice, please!

Thank you! As I continued my research I did see that biking might be a challenge, though I did find bike tours in the area. I think we'll reserve a shuttle for one day and do the bike tour another (to work off all that wine!). :)

LA/Paso
Level Contributor
83 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Midweek in Paso, Taking train. No car. Advice, please!

As mentioned above, there are many wine touring companies in the area. Grape Line, Wine Wrangler, and many others. You can also rent bikes from Best Bike Zone, which is almost in downtown, and get around very nicely via bike. Downtown is all very centralized and walkable and almost anything you'd want can be found in town, and you can ride out to taste during the day. We cycle the roads frequently there, so one thing we'd reiterate, which I'm sure you already know, is that the area gets hot in the summer and it's really important, when biking, to remain hydrated -- especially if you're stopping any place to taste. It's easy to meander a longer distance than one thinks one has gone and the heat builds as the day goes on. That being said, have a great time, there is lots to see and do!

4. Re: Midweek in Paso, Taking train. No car. Advice, please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:42 pm, June 21, 2013