We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paso Robles or San Luis Obispo

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Topic
Paso Robles or San Luis Obispo

We are on honeymoon from Uk in mid may and cannot decide which of Paso Robles or San Luis Obispo to stay in. Looking to do wine tasting, nice restaurants, bars etc.

Which is the bigger place, which is more quaint, which has the nicer bars and restaurants, nicest town centre (what you call downtown?).

Also, what will the weather be like in May in both places (assuming it will be similar).

Sorry for all the questions but this is the only part of the honeymoon that we can't decide on!

Arroyo Grande, CA
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Paso Robles or San Luis Obispo

San Luis Obispo has a nice downtown area, as well as many local bars and nice restaurants. I recommend staying at the Madonna Inn, which is right off the 101 Freeway, and has a large variety of unique rooms.

Paso Robles is much closer to the area vineyards for wine tasting. The drive isn't too long from SLO to Paso Robles (only a 30 minute drive, or so). So you really won't be left out of one city if you choose the other.

As I recall, there's also a limo service right outside the Madonna Inn you could probably hire to chauffuer you to wine tastings and whatnot.

15 or so minutes from San Luis Obispo is Pismo Beach, which has some nice restaurants, a hot springs, and nice beaches.

Best of luck, and congratulations!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,507 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paso Robles or San Luis Obispo

Sorry to add another idea to the mix but I would stay just west of Paso Robles on the coast in Cambria(rte 46 goes west from Paso Robles through some pretty coastal mountains to Cambria.) On Moonstone Drive(at Moonstone Beach) you will find many lovely romantic small inns/motels. The town is delightful with lovely restaurants and shops. On rte 46 from Cambria to Paso Robles and then from Paso Robles continuing east are many many wineries.It is a lovely area. I don't know where you plan to go after this area but from Cambria you can take the coast road rte.1 north to Monterey and San Francisco. Have a great honeymoon.

London, United...
Level Contributor
152 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paso Robles or San Luis Obispo

I went to Paso Robles last summer on holiday from the UK- we actually drove the "pacific coast highway" from LA- San Francisco which was amazing but detoured in land a bit to Paso Robles because had heard it was nice. Definately looked like there were lots of nice vineyards around with wine tasting available, and although we didn't go to any the local wine we had in the restaurants in Paso Robles was really good. There was a small square which had a really good selection of nice looking restaurants and it seemed a really quaint town. Can't really recommend a hotel there because we made the mistake of staying in a motel (Relax inn, to be precise, sure you wouldn't as on honeymoon, but just to make sure DON'T STAY THERE!!!) If you fancied doing a spot of sight seeing a little further a field head out to the pacific coast- hearst castle just a little north along the pacific coast is beautiful, and further on still, towards Monterey, the Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park is a stunning natural sight if you walk along to the waterfall. We travelled there from Paso Robles in about 1/2 a day, with lots of stops for taking photos of the stunning Big Sur coast! Hope this is helpful and that you have a wonderful honeymoon!

Waterlooville...
Level Contributor
208 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paso Robles or San Luis Obispo

We can certainly support Bettyjo's comments. We also stayed at Paso Robles en route from LA to San Francisco last August and found it a lovely, peaceful town. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express (see write ups on Trip Advisor)and would certainly return. In doing my research for our trip to California I found that Paso Robles came out better with reports the SLO.

Hope it goes well whatever you decide but if you want to use it as a base for touring the area and walking around typical American towns I would certainly recommend Paso Robles (even for a honeymoon).

Level Contributor
35,943 posts
904 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paso Robles or San Luis Obispo

I ike the Cambria suggestion for a place to stay. We like to wine taste in Paso, then head over to Cambria for the beauty of the ocean, quaint shops and great restaurants.

If you decide on a stay in Paso, check out the Summerwood Inn. Their Merlot is excellent and the Inn is absolutely gorgeous, I would love to stay there sometime. Cheers! :)

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,361 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paso Robles or San Luis Obispo

We like the Apple Farm Inn in San Luis Obispo. Victorian style surrounded by large trees, colorful flower beds, hanging baskets and pots. Beautifully decorated rooms, heated pool. www.applefarminn.com.

Get answers to your questions about Paso Robles