We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

less known wineries

Which Paso Robles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
less known wineries

I'm going to Paso this weekend. I go a few times a year and am familiar with many of the wineries. However there's a few that haven't seen postings on. Have any of you TAs had experiences with these wineries? Thanks in advance.

Alta Colina

Caliza

Halter Ranch

Hoage

walnut creek
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: less known wineries

Hi gdude, I have to Alta Calina, fairly new winery , estate grown grapes, they bottle their own grapes. They are upstairs from, i believe Villa Toscana, good wine there as well. The woman pouring the wine if i recall her name is Maggie, she is very friendly and knowledgable, my favorite was the 900 Syrah, dark fruit and jammy with a good finish

Halter Ranch is further down the road, a nice drive to the winery, a beautiful farm house resides on the property, they have lovely grounds, a picnic area with fire place, plenty of places to kick back and enjoy, good wines here as well, if my memory is correct their award winning Syrah is my favorite.

Since you are in the area make a right out of Halter Ranch and go around the bend to Tablas Creek, outstanding wine!

Enjoy yourself

Level Contributor
34,465 posts
889 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: less known wineries

I agree with Tablas Creek, don't miss this one if possible! :)

California
Level Contributor
5 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: less known wineries

Two top small wineries are Dark Star and Grey Wolf. A better known, excelent one, is Peachy Canyon.

Fresno, CA
Destination Expert
for Fresno
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: less known wineries

Halter Ranch has some excellent wines. Everyone's taste is so different though. I can't stand Tablas Creek. One person's favorite is another's blick, so check them out and report back.

Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: less known wineries

I went to Caliza, Halter Ranch, Calcareous. Also hit Opolo & Dover Canyon. My favorite was Calcareous. Great views and picnicing area. Enjoyed their wines though I thought they were overpriced. Opolo is still one of my favorites so I had to stop there. Really enjoy their reds. The people at Halter Ranch were very friendly and they also had a nice picnic area. The owner at Caliza was pouring the wine. He was a nice guy and very informative. Stopped by Dover Canyon to pick up a few bottles of their "Cujo" Zin for my sister. Had a great time. Can't wait to go back.

6. Re: less known wineries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 28, 2010