We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winery with a kid?

Which Paso Robles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Norway
Level Contributor
170 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Winery with a kid?

We are pasing by Paso Robles on our way from the Californian coast to Vegas.

I've heard this is a great place to experience a winery and taste some great wines.

My husbond simply love red wine, and since we don't have anything like this in Norway, I would very much like to take him to one of these places.

The thing is, we are traveling with our 18 month old son. Do you think any of the winerys will let us bring him along? Or is it totally inapropriate? Anyone with experiences?

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winery with a kid?

Most wineries welcome children in the tasting room with their parents, and may even provide a drink for them (non-alcoholic of course), some crackers or crayons and paper to keep them entertained. I work in a tasting room and can speak from experience, so I will tell you what IS totally inappropriate. Please do not sit your child on the bar!! People drink and eat from this surface and it's kind of gross to see a child's butt, no matter how clean, on the bar. Also, please do not allow your child to run amuck in the tasting room. Many dangers to the child as well as to glass bottles and other fixtures are present. Since you asked this question, you undoubtedly know better, but believe me, many don't, so maybe a few who read this post will get the message. Enjoy your trip!!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,428 posts
5,231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winery with a kid?

This will work.

One suggestion is to look on the internet for kid friendly wineries (generally they also have picnic and ground areas.)

californiawineryadvisor.com/wineries/view/Mi…

Also look for others....on the above web site.

Generally look for wineries with some outside ground areas (i.e. with an 18 month old they might be sleepy at the right time...but then again, you probably know excitement about life and trying to touch everything rules the day.) As such, if the kid is really awake, sometimes the couple will do the following - one stays outside with the child so the child can have fun and the other one does the wine tasting; and then the other one does duty and the other does the wine tasting.

Unfortunately as one know we can't predict right now ...if your child is happy, sleepy, etc., kid friendly wineries are usually allowed to be in the tasting room. Some even have color books and crayons for older kids. But some stuffy wineries would not like this at all. In general Paso Robles wineries are pretty family friendly.

So....do plan a visit ....and hope your 18 month old is in good spirits the day of your visit.

Have a great trip.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,857 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winery with a kid?

I got asked this question a few months ago and have included my response and the OP's experiences:

"Hi Kibblesmom,"

Thanks so much for your replies about wineries in the Paso Robles area. I meant to write and thank you earlier, but if you still have school age kids, you will know that May is the new December: we've just crawled out from under a deluge of school projects (including the dreaded Mission building), school plays and Open Houses.

We did go to Paso for Memorial Day weekend, and I thought I would pass along some tidbits in case you or anyone you know ever goes up there with kids. We took our bikes, and did short bike rides on several days, usually stopping at wineries as a rest stop/place for quick bite.

Here's some of the places the kids thought were cool:

Sylvester: We dropped our car off at the Martin & Weyrich wine tasting parking lot, and biked about 2.5 miles up Buena Vista Drive to Sylvester (pretty flat biking). They have 3-4 old, restored Pullman Cars that my boys liked. They also have some cheese/salami stuff for sale if you want a snack.

Castoro: We brought our own picnic lunch to Castoro, which was pretty scenic. They did not offer the boys grape juice, but they did have a funny, pot bellied pig. Across the street was Eagle Castle winery, which actually does look like a (cleaned up) midieval castle, including a moat. They even have one of those Henry VIII cut out things that you can stick your face through, and armour helmets that the owners are happy to have kids try on.

Sculpterra: was south of Paso, on Linne Road. As its name suggests, the grounds are full of (very, very) large sculptures, all in the shapes of animals. A hit. We biked from there to Cass Winery, which does have some (albeit a bit pricey) regular restaurant food for sale, such as sandwiches. I had an $18 cheese sampler platter, which I considered worth it because of the ambience.

We also had fun biking on Templeton Road. Again, pretty flat (I'm a fairly lazy biker, with a basket, so flat is important), and the kids had fun stopping along the road in front of horse farms, goats and a random cow or two.

A trend among wineries seems to be giving out little 'patches', which kids might want to collect. We got one in the shape of ducks from Sylvester, and beavers from Castoro. I don't think you actually have to purchase wine to get them.

I hope this info is at least a little bit useful; you have given me so much helpful advice over the years, and I'm so grateful; it's only right to pass along whatever info I have.

Thanks again,

On Apr 25, 2009, at 08:20 PM Kibblesmom wrote:

Hi mizmina

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,857 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winery with a kid?

Here's the rest:

"Eberle, Tobin James, and Castoro are all ok with kids. Tobin James has free video games the kids can play, and Castoro has coloring books. Castoro also bottles grape juice that the kids can try when they visit."

Level Contributor
34,703 posts
891 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winery with a kid?

Lone Madrone is a nice place to go, they have spacious grounds there and some nice herb gardens. Robert Hall is another good one with a spacious area in the back with lots of picnic tables. Have fun! :)

Norway
Level Contributor
170 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winery with a kid?

Hi!

Thank you so much you guys! You've given me a lot of info to work with here, and most of all calmed my worries about bringing my son :-)

Normally I'm quite conscious about not bringing him to "grown up" things, where he doesn't belong, but on a trip with only the three of us we dont really have many options... We're planning to go arround his nap time, so my idea is that he's going to sleep through the whole thing... but as you say mini, you never know with a 18 months old :-)

I'll give you a report when we get back.

Fresno, CA
Destination Expert
for Fresno
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winery with a kid?

Paso is much more laid back than Napa. We take our kids all the time to the tasting rooms. Sometimes the owner's kids are there!

8. Re: Winery with a kid?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 04, 2010