We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paso Robles for a weekend - how to go around?

CA
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Paso Robles for a weekend - how to go around?

I see that the wineries are pretty far away. How do people normally go around? I mean, it would be no fun to have one designated driver as then, the person cannot drink and drive. There are some wine tours listed but they are limited to the wineries that you can go to. Any recommendations? Can we walk? Or bike from winery to winery? Should we just drive or take the wine tour? If wine tour, which one?

Also, are there any recommended camping spots near the wineries?

Thanks.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,029 posts
6,062 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paso Robles for a weekend - how to go around?

Car Tour - Highway 46.....lots of wineries between Paso Robles and Cambria. For Great Reds....Hunt Cellars www.huntwinecellars.com/visiting_winery.htm

For the other ones (given everyone's wish to drink) suggest a tour...http://www.breakaway-tours.com/wine.shtml

Camping.....try Morro Bay (Montana d'Oro)

totalescape.com/active/…montana.html

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paso Robles for a weekend - how to go around?

Here is my best advice. You do need a car. It is not like Napa. But select an area to taste at and only really taste. For instance, have a big heavy lunch. Then go to a winery and if you do not like the wine in your mouth use the spit bucket. Get rid of it. Only swallow the wines you are really interested in. You may not like any wines at some wineries. My husband always is our designated driver, but he definitely tastes. He does not drink entire glasses though. If someone is pouring heavy we ask them not too. Or better yet, to not drink as much and to save money, only buy one taste and then share it with your spouse. We do this all the time. It is common practice. No one minds. Besides, how many free wine glasses do you need!

After two wineries like this get some food to munch. Several places sell cheese and crackers, or have them in the car. If you keep eating between wineries you will also avoid getting drunk.

I recommend Bonny Doon and Tobin James (they are each on different sides of the 101 on 46. I recommend Dunning, Grey Wolf, Zin Alley and Midnight Cellars. Also Penman Springs and Clautiere. Go to www.pasowine.com to research wineries and to get a map.

I would suggest you stay at the Atascadero Best Western for accessable rooms, includes a pretty hearty breakfast and good prices. Best restaurants are Buono Tavoli and Paris.

If you must camp you may have to drive all the way to the Coast. (meaning Morro Bay) Our campgrounds are full right now every single day, even weekdays. So reservations are necessary.

Let me know if I can help with any other ideas. I live here and wine taste every other weekend.

PS Final thought - you can rent limos and they will take you to whatever winery you wish.

CA
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Paso Robles for a weekend - how to go around?

Thank you for your replies. They have been a great help. Guess the best way is by car so we'll have to figure it out somehow. Seems to be a big wine county.

Many of the wineries in Santa Ynex does not allow sharing so it's good to know that we can just buy one wine-tasting and share.

Thanks.

4. Re: Paso Robles for a weekend - how to go around?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:10 am, August 24, 2005
Level Contributor
36,926 posts
946 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paso Robles for a weekend - how to go around?

Agree with Gourmand about Tobin James. Love their Zins and their red table wine, "Cash Flow." Whimsical place that's lots of fun. Other great places to consider are: EOS, Meridian, Bianchi, San Marcos Creek, Eberle, Martin & Weyrich, Wild Coyote (house of reds) and Peachy Canyon.

We hope to do the Fall Wine Tour again this year. For $10 you will be able to taste at as many places as you want to! Cheers! :)

Costa Mesa...
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paso Robles for a weekend - how to go around?

These are all wineries to not go to:

"Other great places to consider are: EOS, Meridian, Bianchi, San Marcos Creek, Eberle, Martin & Weyrich, Wild Coyote (house of reds) and Peachy Canyon."- a true SLO county ex-resident would never you to EOS or Meridian!!! Meridian adds oak chips in the steel barrel that their wine rest in.

The great wineries are in the Far Out Winery group: Adelaida, Tablas Creek, Justin, Norman & Opolo. Other good wineries are Castoro & Clautiere (a very fun winery).

Get answers to your questions about Paso Robles