We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog friendly tasting rooms or wineries?

Which Paso Robles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Long Beach
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dog friendly tasting rooms or wineries?

I'm planning on taking my significant other around for a day of wine tasting as a surprise. We'll be traveling with our dog - can anyone recommend some wineries in the SLO or Paso Robles area that are dog friendly and allow them either on the grounds or in the tasting rooms?

She's incredibly well behaved - most people ask if she's a service dog because she wears a big harness and is so calm and quiet when I take her to parades or shopping at Bloomingdales or wherever - so vineyard owners, let me know if we should visit you!!

Thanks in advance - you guys are always so helpful and knowledgable.

Red Bluff, CA
Level Contributor
242 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dog friendly tasting rooms or wineries?

Your dog won't be allowed in any tasting rooms. As far as leaving the dog tied up somewhere on the grounds, you don't mention when you are taking your trip but I have been through Paso Robles during the summer and it was 104 degrees before noon.

Santa Clarita, CA
Level Contributor
8 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dog friendly tasting rooms or wineries?

Actually, there are MANY tasting rooms that have their own dogs present in the tasting rooms. I have been to Doce Robles, Tobin James, and many others out there that do allow dogs, however, they prefer you do not bring them because it can offend other guests. I have a golden that is a guide dog dropped from the program. He also is very well trained and we use a halti so we know right where his head is at at all times. I agree with the other post - don't try it in the summer, it gets way too hot. I would call ahead to some of the places you are interested in. You can go to pasowine.com and get contact info on most of the wineries.

Long Beach
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Dog friendly tasting rooms or wineries?

Thanks. We're going first weekend in March so I'm more worried about it being too cold for us humans. We won't tie our dog up - if that were the only option we'd figure out another way.

I'll call some wineries, but since there are so many it's good to have an idea of which places are more friendly than others. Not to mention, it may be the sort of thing where "on the record" dogs aren't allowed, but "off the record" they may actually be quite welcome. I imagine smaller wineries would be some of the more friendly ones.

Santa Clarita, CA
Level Contributor
8 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dog friendly tasting rooms or wineries?

Yes, I believe this is true. Just be careful about going to Wild Coyote. They have a wolf hybrid that snapped at me. I would assume it could be aggressive toward a dog. (Don't know if it is still there, it was about a year and a half ago.)

I know for fact that several smaller rooms will allow your dog in. What breed is she? I wouldn't attempt to go to Eberle or Firestone or Robert Hall with a dog, but the "homey" ones allow friendly dogs.

One not to miss - Red Soles, new and off the W46 on Oakdale, but call ahead to see if the dog will be okay.

Long Beach
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Dog friendly tasting rooms or wineries?

Wild Coyote was actually on my list - I'd tasted one of their wines in Grass Valley, of all places, a couple weeks ago.

Well, at least we'll go on a Friday - hopefully it will be alittle less crowded than Saturdays.. is it better to go earlier in the day than later? How early do tasting rooms usually open?

(Interesting re the wolf hybrid - I actually used to work with wolfdogs at a rescue sanctuary in Texas - they are special animals that require a lot of understanding and patience and aren't your average "dog" - though they can make superb amazing ocmpanions under the right circumstances...)

Santa Clarita, CA
Level Contributor
8 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dog friendly tasting rooms or wineries?

When you get into town, pick up the Paso Robles Wine Country Guide at the hotel (if you are staying overnight)or one of the wineries you stop at. Or you can send for it ahead of time from pasowine.com. This booklet has a winery map and lists all the wineries in the Wine Country Alliance (which is most of them) and their hours and styles. Most wineries open at around 11, but some open as early as 10. A few open at noon or are by appointment only except on weekends. For example, Chateau Margene, one of our favorites, is only open for tasting from 12-5 on Sat & Sun. Wild Coyote is open daily from 11 - 5.

Regarding wolf hybrids - My old boss, a dentist, lost his home over an incident where two children went into their backyard to retrieve a ball that had gone over the fence. Their wolf hybrids attacked the boys who tresspassed, yet because the dogs were part wolf, he lost everything and insurance wouldn't cover him. Those dogs never attacked anything prior. This is not to say that any protective breed would do the same. They were beautiful dogs. They now live out in the country in Acton and have another wolf hybrid.

7. Re: Dog friendly tasting rooms or wineries?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, September 18, 2009