We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tasting on the cheap

Which Paso Robles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
203 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
tasting on the cheap

We will be spending 3 days in Paso soon, and want to do a fair bit of tasting. I am concerned about the cost adding up fast if we visit 4 or 5 wineries a day. So... I'm looking at advice on which wineries offer FREE tasting, and which wineries offer CHEAP tasting ($3 or less). Maybe we can intersperse these with some of the highly recommended wineries and old favorites :)

Also, if anyone has a recommendation on a few that offer good value (quality for price) I would appreciate that as well. We mainly only like red wines.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,701 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tasting on the cheap

The following site should help you plan your trip:

http://www.pasowine.com/wineries/profiles.php

Click on each winery that interests you and look for their website url within the profile to get the info you seek.

Frazier Park...
Level Contributor
451 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tasting on the cheap

Hi, again craezie;

I'm pretty sure Castoro is free; if not it's very reasonable, & they always let you taste more than they say on the tasting card. The people who work in the tasting room are always so sweet. Even though they are a big producer, they have some great wines, reasonably priced, especially the ones you can't get at the grocery store. Pretty tasting room with great gift items, & a cozy fireplace, plus there is Harley, the pot-bellied pig. Go early, though, as it can get crowded.

Eberle's tasting is free, & they have good wine (belong to their wine club). I think Tobin James is free, or very inexpensive. The wine in the tasting room is hit/miss, the club wines are better. Sylvester is inexpensive, & you get to keep the glass. Plus, they have the cool antique trains out back.

I have listed my favorite wineries in prior trip reports, but their fees/wines aren't necessarily cheap. However, in Paso, most fees are moderate.

Have a great trip

KLORIK
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tasting on the cheap

My husband and I recommend Sylvester...Great wines across the board, wonderful tasting room staff and great value!

Oxnard, CA
Level Contributor
154 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tasting on the cheap

Just got back today. As stated above Eberle is free, Castoro first three tastes are free, then there is a charge. Anglim is free and I believe (things blur aftr a number of tasting rooms) Eagle Castle is free.

I shouldn't say this but if you have a specific wine you really like, go into any of them and when told of their tasting charge, say: Oh! I just want to taste your (blank). We have never been charged for a single tasting. Often they then offer you another wine for comparison.

For those that charge, they have a rate for tasting and you keep the glass and a lessor rate for tasting and not keeping the glass.

Finally, we stayed at La Quinta on hwy 46E in Paso Robles and if you can qualify for AAA or AARP or almost anything (Check their website under rates) you will get free breakfasts every day and free wine and nibbles Monday to Thursday. Depending on your appetite and alcohol tolerance that has a significat value. Ask and the hotel will also give you a certificate that entitles 2 of you for free glasses and wine tasting at the EOS Vineyard down the road. That is a $20 value. The glasses are awesome.

Oxnard, CA
Level Contributor
154 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tasting on the cheap

oops. Meant to say: Finally, we stayed at La Quinta on hwy 46E in Paso Robles and if you can qualify for AAA or AARP or almost anything (Check their website under rates) you can score a lower room rate then the one posted. They provide free breakfasts every day and free wine and nibbles Monday to Thursday.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
137 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tasting on the cheap

EOS is Free

Garretson is Free

Vina Robles is Free

Eberle is Free

Wild Horse is Free

Opolo is Free

Templeton...
Level Contributor
15 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tasting on the cheap

Here's a pretty comprehensive list of all the free wine tastings, with maps!

http://www.frugaltaster.com

8. Re: tasting on the cheap

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, September 13, 2009