We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rose Parade 2015 for the hadicapped spectator

Which Pasadena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
clifton
Level Contributor
7 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Rose Parade 2015 for the hadicapped spectator

I will be traveling with a family member with very limited capacity to walk due to Polio. We had bought grandstand seats at (area one) 450 West Colorado area and parking at the 400 area.

To add to that challenge I will also have a 4 year old toddler with me.

My questions would be:

1. is the area north of I-210 a safe area (i.e. can you walk home from the parade) particularly Garfias drive. If my handicapped family member decides to go home early, we (the able-bodied members of the pack) may decide to stay longer and decide to walk home.

2. I am planning on renting a motorized wheelchair. How early should we be there? I have read that it gets packed and impossible to move around even before the parade starts.

3. Would a post parade viewing of the floats be worth it for my handicapped family member?

Any tips to make this trip enjoyable for my family would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,889 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rose Parade 2015 for the hadicapped spectator

1. I took a look at Google Maps, and Garfias Drive is located in a safe area of NE Pasadena (or Altadena, not exactly sure where the boundary is there). Your question was "Is the area north of the 210 safe", and the answer is, it depends. I think some areas of NW Pasadena are pretty iffy, and I wouldn't generally stroll through them. But Northeast Pasadena is very safe and pleasant. So, if you want to walk, I'd head east, perhaps on Orange Grove (which makes a right turn above the freeway), before heading north. Are you aware that this is a walk of 4 to 5 miles, and very uphill going north? You could take the Gold Line light rail from Memorial Park Station to Allen Station. That would reduce the walk considerably, but you'd still have an uphill hike from Allen Station to the house on Garfias. It will still be @ 2 mile walk, almost all uphill.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,889 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rose Parade 2015 for the hadicapped spectator

Look at the TOR website for information specific to disabled visitors.

Or, the City of Pasadena visitor site has some information:

pasadenacal.com/index.php/…

clifton
Level Contributor
7 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rose Parade 2015 for the hadicapped spectator

No I was not aware that it is an uphill walk. Thanks.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,889 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rose Parade 2015 for the hadicapped spectator

East/west is pretty flat. But walking north, it will start as a slight grade and increase as you get closer to the mountains. It isn't exactly hilly; just a steady and increasing grade. Probably fine if you are in good shape, but definitely noticable.

5. Re: Rose Parade 2015 for the hadicapped spectator

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 10, 2015