We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would love ADVICE for planning a trip to OLD PASADENA!

Which Pasadena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
967 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Would love ADVICE for planning a trip to OLD PASADENA!

Hi Everybody,

My parents are visiting from the East coast. I just recently moved to LA. I want to take them around Pasadena, including the Huntington Gardens.

Can anyone give me any suggestions about OLD PASADENA? I heard it's beautiful there. I've never been. What's there?

I have been to the Gamble House. Any other great architectural treasures to explore?

Thanks, Everyone!

Betty

orange county
Level Contributor
699 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would love ADVICE for planning a trip to OLD PASADENA!

Old town is on Colorado Blvd. Its really just a street with some nice shops and some nice restaurants. There is also an outdoor mall just east of old town on colorado blvd called paseo colorado, but old town is much better.

the huntington library is beautiful. take them there for sure. Also, go to the ritz in pasadena for tea or for brunch.

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would love ADVICE for planning a trip to OLD PASADENA!

The Huntington Library and Gardens is very beautiful. You might want to make reservations at the Tea Room for traditional English Tea(located inside Huntington). Actually, where Huntington Library is located is in San Marino which is a very beautiful upscale neighborhood. You may just want to drive around the community after your visit to check out some lovely homes just outside of Huntington Library. Some homes around the area are Craftsman style.

I'm not sure if they are still doing construction at the Pasadena City Hall, but this is also a nice area. It's been shown in a variety of movies and films.

http://www.laavenue.com/cityhall.htm

The Castle Green (which is also in Old Town) has a little bit of architectural history. (I believe this is between Fair Oaks and Green)

www.citycent.com/CCC/Pasadena/cgreen.htm

The Colorado Street Bridge is also a beautiful landmark, you can see this from the 134 freeway.

vintageviews.org/vv-3/…bdg03_001.html

Cal Tech is a beautiful campus to wonder around in, also located in Pasadena. We sometimes love to take pictures of this campus.

Of course, Old Town Pasadena is great for shopping, people watching and having a bite to eat.

I love visiting Pasadena.The neighborhoods are beautiful, tree lined streets, have a great time.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,935 posts
5,139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would love ADVICE for planning a trip to OLD PASADENA!

Great Suggestions above.

Another place is to take them to is the Los Angeles Arboretum which is close by in Arcadia. Its close to old Pasadena.

There is a Cheesecake Restaurant in downtown Pasadena which is a good place to go for lunch.

For drinks/nice property, the Ritz Carlton in Pasadena is also very nice. There are some comedy clubs as well that are fun to go to.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
967 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would love ADVICE for planning a trip to OLD PASADENA!

Many thanks to you all!

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would love ADVICE for planning a trip to OLD PASADENA!

I also recommend the afternoon tea (which makes an ample lunch) at the Huntington Gardens. Very popular, so try to make a reservation: 626.405.2100, press 5 for tearoom, then 6 for reservations. If none are available, check the tearoom when you first arrive at the gardens (its in the rose garden) to see if there are last minute spots available.

The streets ajacent to the Ritz Carlton have some beautiful turn of the century homes, including another treasure by Greene and Greene, the Blacker House (a private home).

The NOrton Simon museum is a wonderful smaller museum with some outstanding collections, and it has a lovely central garden, too. It is just west of Old Pasadena, on Colorado Blvd.,so if you have time, try to fit it in. Old Pasadena is nice for strolling and has good restaurants. I don't know how old your parents are, or their energy level-- this might be a two day itinerary!

A whole different San Gabriel Valley day would be to visit the huge Asian area, with some fantastic restaurants and interesting shops. A place to start would be San Gabriel Square, at Del Mar and Valley Blvd. in San Gabriel. There is a good Islamic

Chinese restaurant there, quite different.

San Gabriel Valley
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Would love ADVICE for planning a trip to OLD PASADENA!

You didn't say the date so here's hoping this is not too late. Have you ever gone to Arcadia (just a hop, skip & jump from Pasadana) north of the Arboratum and just driven around in hopes of seeing the peacocks? Beautiful homes, yards, streets and yes, peacocks. If you're lucky some will have their tails spread....they are a beautiful site. It is better to go early in the day or early evening before dark. They don't show their selves much when it's too hot. When you go to Pasadena with your folks don't forget to show them the Pasadena Playhouse....you might want to attend a play if it's to your liking.

7. Re: Would love ADVICE for planning a trip to OLD PASADENA!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, August 15, 2009