We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather

texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Weather

We will be attending the Rose Bowl Parade in January. Can anyone let me know what the typical weather is during this time? One weather website shows the averages to be in the high 60s and another shows it to be in the mid 40s. Can anyone give me a little insight? Is there a rainy season?

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,539 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather

Mid-40s? What website is that? L.A. metro's temps rarely dip into the 40s and only during "sleeping hours."

Weather.com is as good as any weather website. Here's a link to their forecast page for the Rose Bowl area:

weather.com/outlook/…91103

The 'low temps' are midnight-6 am temps. Bottom line: expect daytime temps around 60, give or take. As you get closer to your departure, you can do a 10-day forecast. Here's that link (you can look at it whenever you want):

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Pasadena+CA+91103

(If you click on each individual day, it will show you daytime vs nighttime temps).

Fullerton...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather

Legend has it that it never rains on the Rose Parade...right before, right after but not during :)

Of course, it has rained on the parade but it is so rare that it almost seems true.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,103 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather

That legend is TRUE, but ONLY when the parade/game occur on Jan. 1. This year they are on Jan. 2. So, no guarantees.

It won't be t-shirt weather, even if the sun is out. It might rain. Wear layers, and bring raingear.

St. Louis, Mo
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather

Got the rain gear and layering. What about the bleachers? Do you need cushions and do they sell them at the parade?

Fullerton...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather

You might need a cushion as the bleachers aren't padded. Many people bring lap blankets, sometimes called stadium blankets. You can wrap up in the morning (when it can be pretty chilly) and use them as a cushion when it warms up a bit.

Sorry don't know for sure if they sell or rent cushions. I'm guessing it might be something you might find with the other souveniers.

(Forgot the "legend" only works on Jan. 1st...thanks, Pasca!)

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather

Overnight lows at this time of year can easily be in the 40's, and it can still be quite chilly in the morning around the time you'd need to arrive at the parade and perhaps even for the beginning of the parade, but by mid or late late morning the temperature would likely be in the 60's.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
829 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather

Thank you for starting this thread! On Weather.com the temps are mid-40s at night, and the mornings at sunrise are the coldest time of the day. During the day - upper 70s!

I plan on bringing a small blanket to keep legs warm. Also somebody advised to bring bubble wrap instead of a cushion and toss it after the parade. I hope there will be recycle bins, not just garbage cans!

Will probably need sunblock - not sure if the seats are in the sun (my friend got tickets, she lives in the area, I'll be flying in).

How warm should I dress, this is the question that most likely nobody can answer, but a warm sweater, a warm vest and a lined windbreaker - I don't think I'll be overdoing it? Maybe? I can start peeling the layers off when it gets warmer - from 9 am perhaps?

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,945 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather

I remember living on the east coast when it was 5 ft of snow outside and watching the Rose Parade on New Year's Day. It was always sunny and 60 degrees. I moved to LA as soon as I could. I do remember one year when it rained, but not during the parade. It's going to be cold in the beginning, but will probably warm up later. So layers with a light blanket would be appropriate, and definitely cushion.

LA
Level Contributor
10,107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather

Bubble wrap instead of a cushion? Wouldn't that make a lot of noise as it popped in the first 5 minutes, then become just a couple of flat sheets of plastic?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
829 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather

Pareo, I hope I am not that heavy, but there is only one way to find out. I may become a sightseeing point before the start of the parade :)

I guess I'll have to find some surface to put the bubbles on at home for a test!

Just trying to minimize what I'll be taking along on the plane, trying to pack light.

You know, it may be fun if the bubbles start popping in the overhead of the plane when somebody will squeeze my duffle LOL

Edited: 2:39 pm, December 28, 2011