We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rose Bowl Game Day Parking - is there neighborhood parking?

Which Pasadena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Rose Bowl Game Day Parking - is there neighborhood parking?

If we are driving into Pasadena the morning of the Rose Bowl - Monday, Jan 2 - is there neighborhood parking that doesn't have a time limit? Maybe north of the parade route and east of the stadium?

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
17,136 posts
43 reviews
1. Re: Rose Bowl Game Day Parking - is there neighborhood parking?

We usually park south of the parade route, but I am thinking there'll be similar spots north. I think the further east of the Rose Bowl the easier to find free space. And of course you need to get there very early.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Rose Bowl Game Day Parking - is there neighborhood parking?

Thanks!

When you park south of the parade route, is it in a residential neighborhood?

Can you park all day?

Also, when you write, "get there very early," what hour is that?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
47,141 posts
415 reviews
3. Re: Rose Bowl Game Day Parking - is there neighborhood parking?

To the far east of the main parade area, yes. I would park near the Allen Ave Gold Line subway station and ride the subway to the main parade area. I'd even consider parking at Union Station in downtown and riding the Gold Line up.

Where are you coming from?

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
17,136 posts
43 reviews
4. Re: Rose Bowl Game Day Parking - is there neighborhood parking?

Since Monday is a public holiday I assume street parking is free. Although it's been awhile since we last did this, with the budget situation they may be posting lots of no parking signs or make people pay the meters.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Rose Bowl Game Day Parking - is there neighborhood parking?

We are heading over from the Burbank airport on the early morning of the 2nd.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
20,173 posts
4,361 reviews
6. Re: Rose Bowl Game Day Parking - is there neighborhood parking?

What time are you driving into Pasadena?

Many people park in the area 24 hours in advance of the parade route....

There is paid parking for the parade.

Where are you going as Pasadena is large (street address).

Most people who get to the parade route at the front end get there by 6 am in the morning...and it you get there by 7 you will find it much more difficult.

If you are going at end of the parade, you can get there later....

but you will end up with traffic congestion by 10 in the morning as people arrive for the Rose Bowl Game and people who saw the front end of the parade are departing.

Also, neighborhood parking is limited due to many people who might have it invite people over to see the parade themselves.

Give us more information....why are you going to Pasadena?

How large a group?

Do you know that people camp out for the parade the day before?

Do you have any familiarity with the Pasadena area?

Note: I grew up in this area and visit often. Taking the Gold Line if you are unfamiliar with Pasadena and if you are going for the parade makes the most sense. There are many park and ride lots throughout the LA area.)

Edited: 8:27 pm, December 16, 2011
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
20,173 posts
4,361 reviews
7. Re: Rose Bowl Game Day Parking - is there neighborhood parking?

Note: If you are flying down from San Francisco in the morning, are you planning to just go to the game? Most flights do not leave till 6;00 am from san Francisco and even if you get to Burbank by 7:00 a.m. or so - its a tad late for the front end of the parade. So reason for my question of "why are you coming to Pasadena as it will help.) The bowl game area is about 1 1/2 miles from the parade area - there are homes near the Rose bowl, but the neighbors can charge you to park there. There is a large parking area at the Bowl game. there is also a free shuttle from downtown Pasadena - but parking nearby to the free shuttle will be an issue on the 1st as it is where the parade route is.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,773 posts
32 reviews
8. Re: Rose Bowl Game Day Parking - is there neighborhood parking?

What time will you be picking up your car at the burbank airport and starting your drive?

And are you coming just for the game, or would you like to see the parade as well? Your answers will alter the advice you get.

Because, of course, many people will be coming for the parade, and will have parked by 7am, or even earlier.

To answer your question as well as I can without knowing more:

1. Yes, there are residential areas where you can park all day.

2. You won't be able to park on the street, or easily drive, into the immediate area of the Rose Bowl itself. Many of the residential streets in that area are blocked off from through traffic, and there will be staff directly the traffic flow.

3. It might be best to park farther from the Bowl, but walking distance from a Gold Line station, and then take the Gold Line to Memorial Park station. Follow signs for the shuttle, about a block away. Then take the shuttle or walk 1.75 miles (@ 45 minutes for a person of average fitness--my family walked and were sure they got there before the shuttles).

Go Ducks!!!

Edited: 11:33 pm, December 16, 2011
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Rose Bowl Game Day Parking - is there neighborhood parking?

Great questions!!

We can drive into Pasadena at any time - 5 am on. We are there to go to the Rose Bowl game and wanted to park near the stadium then walk/shuttle to the parade and back to the game a couple of hours before kick-off. It seems there is residential street parking available, but not in the area directly adjacent to the stadium. So, if we park one car in the farther-out neighborhoods surrounding the stadium on Jan. 2, we will not get a ticket or be towed. Good to know.

THANKS!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
47,141 posts
415 reviews
10. Re: Rose Bowl Game Day Parking - is there neighborhood parking?

All that being said, park by the Rose Bowl in their lots. It will be hard to find parking in the neighborhoods by the Bowl and Parade route. I would NOT park where I said previously because going to the game changes everything. You will be tired at the end of the game and don't want to have to worry about being three miles from your car.

If you get there early and can avoid having to park on the golf course, that is the best idea. Try to park near the Rose Bowl Aquatics Center (use Google Maps to see where it is).

Are you a fan/alum of one of the universities playing? If so, I'd go to an alumni site and look for a post game tailgate. When I was a kid in the 60's and USC used to own the Rose Bowl, we had friends who had a motor home and had a post Rose Bowl party to watch the Orange Bowl while the parking lot cleared out. This year the game after the Rose Bowl is the Fiesta, Stanfurd vs Oklahoma State. Final score should be about 87-83.

Edited: 4:43 pm, December 17, 2011