We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Burbank Airport to Rose Bowl Game

Which Pasadena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sunnyvale...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Burbank Airport to Rose Bowl Game

Coming into Burbank on Jan 2 for Rose Bowl and need advice on reasonable transport to and especially back from the Rose Bowl to the airport.

Flight gets in the morning 9ish but return flight leaves around 8pm.

What are the best options?

I'm more concerned about how to get back to the airport in time for the flight. Game starts at 2pm. Will it end by 5:30? or closer to 6pm? Can we get a cab to pick us up from just outside the stadium $40 parking area or is that a bad idea?

Thanks,

Jim.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Burbank Airport to Rose Bowl Game

Who knows when the game will end. Traffic around the stadium after the game is going to be a mad house. There'll be shuttle buses that go back to Pasadena, from where you can take a light rail to downtown LA. It's probably a lot easier to get a taxi from downtown LA.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Burbank Airport to Rose Bowl Game

This is the official website, which has the following info on taxis:

tournamentofroses.com/TheRoseBowlGame/TheGam…

Drop-Off / Taxi Zone

The designated drop-off, pick-up and taxi zone is on Holly Street between Fair Oaks Avenue and Arroyo Parkway. Passengers may take the free Rose Bowl Game presented by VIZIO Shuttle to the stadium. There are no provisions for drop-offs and pick-ups at the stadium. All taxis or passenger cars entering the Rose Bowl Stadium area on Monday, January 2, will be required to pay the $40 parking fee.

(From me: this taxi zone is a good 45 minute walk from the stadium, walking uphill after the game. Or you can take a shuttle from the Rose Bowl to near this location, but they often take longer than the walk. This location is near the Memorial Park Gold Line station mentioned above, that will take you to downtown LA. Downtown LA is in the wrong direction from Burbank, though. In any case, your return flight is cutting it very close if you actually want to be able to see the game, as it will take you some time to get to the taxi zone, and then I expect the traffic out will be heavy (provided you can even get a cab quickly).

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Burbank Airport to Rose Bowl Game

Wow...you are really cutting it close.

Let' see....kickoff is normally around 2:10 or so...not 2:00. Halftime is normally a little bit longer so the end of the game is about 5:40 or so.

From what Pasca says, it's about a :40 walk to the taxi zone which brings you to 6:20. Traffic from the stadium is bound to be heavy so let's say about another :40 or so to get to the airport which brings you to 7:00. That's one hour prior to flight time which is within the 2 hour standard set by the airlines. Burbank is easy to get in and out of and I have almost always arrived within one hour with no problems.

Any delays in game time such as overtime or other traffic issues can make your plan fail.

Dr. Z

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Burbank Airport to Rose Bowl Game

Also, it isn't clear from the TOR website if taxis will be waiting (and if so, how many) or if you need to call one in advance and have it meet you at the taxi zone.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,789 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Burbank Airport to Rose Bowl Game

The best option is to spend the night in Burbank. I assume you are on the 8:10 to SJC? If you switched to LAX you could get the 9:45PM to SJC. I think you are cutting it way close.

The Rose Bowl game SHOULD start at 2:10PM, but sometimes it is delayed because of the game ahead of it. Dr. Z has the timing just about right.

Sunnyvale...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Burbank Airport to Rose Bowl Game

Thanks for the advice everyone. I agree with Dr. Z. on the timeline. It will be close.

One of the shuttle companies says it can pick us up anywhere and take us directly to the airport. Is there a good spot outside of the stadium for us to meet a shuttle? I'd rather not walk 45 min to an area that everyone else is going to fight for cabs. One idea I had was to meet the shuttle at W Mountain Street & I-210 and head North on 210 from there. We could walk the 1 mile over there in about 20 min.

Do they close all the streets around the stadium as they let cars out of the parking lot? I would think that Seco St and Arroyo Blvd will be crazy with people/cars coming out of the stadium. If anyone knows what it is like after a game there. Best routes, etc. That would help.

Also, with no checked bags, we might be ok at 7:20pm getting to airport since security should be light and we have 40 min to make it. Southwest requires 10 prior, so 8pm we must be at the gate. Rather be there 1 hour early but we will have to see.

Thanks all. Go Badgers :)

- Jim.

PS. We thought about LAX but it is like 40 miles away and traffic in that direction can get crazy, right? Plus, cab or shuttle from LAX to Rose Bowl has to be pretty costly.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Burbank Airport to Rose Bowl Game

It can take hours getting out of the rose bowl, you will have to leave early.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Burbank Airport to Rose Bowl Game

That is an easy walk (uphill). the only wrinkle would be if there were any detours or street closures for the shuttle--which I don't have any way of knowing. The city does list a few closed freeway offramps, but that was not among them. I'd make sure that you have a cell number for the shuttle driver, and also that they have your cell number, just in case of delays or complications.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Burbank Airport to Rose Bowl Game

I wouldn't rely on any easy way to drive anywhere near the Rose Bowl at the end of the game.

Sunnyvale...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Burbank Airport to Rose Bowl Game

Thanks everyone. Wishing I would have booked hotel and came back Tuesday but too late.

Since we are coming in early, we decided to rent a car and get to the stadium parking lot by 9:30am (hope there will be some spots left). We will also leave early and hustle to the car to beat the bulk of the people coming out of the stadium.

Not sure if we have any choice on parking lots which might make it easier to get out. Looks like there is one public lot. Also, I planning on going north to the Arroyo and 210 and then heading North from there. That should avoid the main crowds. Then I have a choice: I could go south on 2 to 134 West or all the way to Sunland Drive. Not sure how backed up 134 West will be. Anyone taken Sunland before from 210.

Thanks,

Jim.