We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My twist on transportatin to the Parade

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,042 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
My twist on transportatin to the Parade

I have read many reports on this forum recommending the gold line as the best form of transportation to the Rose Bowl parade from downtown LA.

Here is my situation. We have purchased Rose Bowl packages that include a downtown LA hotel and bus transportation to the parade. After reading this forum I am still debating in my mind forgetting about the "free" bus ride and taking the metro gold line.

My initial itinerary indicates buses will depart for the parade at 5 am. How early do you think we would have to leave if we take the gold line? We have reserved grandstand seats near the corner of Orange Grove and Colorado at the beginning of the parade route.

I am not underestimating the magnitude of the crowds and congestion, but even given those factors, why do all the experts advise getting to your reserved seat by 7 am? I can see if you don't have a reserved spot you want to get there early to get a view, but with a reserved seat I don't understand the need.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,330 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My twist on transportatin to the Parade

What hotel downtown will you be staying at?

Starting at Union Station, taking the Gold Line, I think 40 minutes would be a fairly conservative estimate of time to get to Memorial Park Station; just a guess. Then, exiting at Memorial Park station, probably a 15-20 minute walk to your seats; again, a guess, and it may be more with the crowds you'll encounter, so allow 30 minutes.

You'd want to get to your seats by @7:30 as the parade starts at 8 and you are close to the beginning of the parade route.

Not having done any of the above on NYD, all this is an estimate based on the usual.

So, maybe 70 minutes, not including getting to the station.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,042 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My twist on transportatin to the Parade

Our travel agency has not given us our final itinerary with hotel, but they said it would either be the Millennium Biltmore or Wilshire Grand. I have done the research to see that either is close to a station on the red line that can get us to Union station to transfer to the gold line.

Looks like either way it will be an early morning. I assume even though the bus drivers may know the best routes to take, traffic still may be frustratingly slow.

Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
472 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My twist on transportatin to the Parade

As you said, from either hotel you take the red line to the gold line. Actually riding time is about 5 minutes, but you have to factor in waiting for the train. The gold line runs lots of trains to Pasadena on New Years Day, but I think the other lines will be on a light holiday schedule. Once you get off at Union Station allow 5 minutes for the transfer. The ride from Union Station to Memorial Park station in Pasadena is about 25 minutes. So that's 35 minutes without walking to the red line station and waiting time for the trains. I would leave the hotel no later than 6 a.m.

I think the arranged buses leave very early because they have to account for possible traffic jams and because they are probably picking up from more than one hotel.

It's about 5-6 blocks from Memorial Park station to your grandstand seats, but you'll have to allow lots of time for the crowds. The other reason to get there early is for crossing the parade route. I think this is pretty well controlled by the police as it gets closer to starting time. You will be to the north of the route, and to get to your seats you'll have to cross Colorado, Orange Grove, or both, depending on which side of the street your seats are on.

To get to your seats I would try and avoid having to walk along Colorado as much as possible. Here's what to do: When you exit the Memorial Park station you will be on Holly Street. Turn right and walk to the corner (Raymond Ave.). Turn right on Raymond and walk up a full block to Walnut. (St. Andrew's Church will be on your left.) Turn left on Walnut and walk on Walnut until you get to Orange Grove. (You will pass over the freeway.) Turn left on Orange Grove and walk down to the parade route. This will take you one block out of your way by walking north to Walnut from the station, but it will probably save you time. It is nearly impossible to walk along the sidewalk on Colorado in that area because the grandstands take up so much space from the normal sidewalk area, and the police will not allow you to walk in the street, I don't think, so close to starting time.

Have a great time. Go Badgers!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My twist on transportatin to the Parade

Your bus probably departs for the parade at 5:00am so that it can turn around and go fetch another group somewhere at 6:00am. And maybe even another one at 7:00am.

We go to the parade at 9am after the traffic has completely disappeared. We take our places towards the end of the parade route, at around 9:30am ., and since it's a two hour parade, we see it all from start to finish. The cheap and easy way.

Edited: 6:54 pm, December 16, 2010
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,607 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My twist on transportatin to the Parade

I think I would choose the Gold Line station to exit based on which side of Colorado you are on. If you are in the grandstand seats on the south side of Colorado, I would use the Del Mar Station, not Memorial Park so you can avoid having to cross Colorado.

To give you an idea of the magnitude of the crowd, it will more more than the entire population of Milwaukee all packed into one smallish area.

I think they tell you to be in your seats by 7am so you don't try to get there at 7:45 only to find out you underestimated the crowds and it takes you 45 minutes to get to your seats, not 15. I sure wouldn't leave downtown any later than 6:30, maybe 6:15 even to allow for delays on the subway with the crush of the crowd.

The people without reserved seats get there the day before to get the choice seats near Orange Grove & Colorado.

6. Re: My twist on transportatin to the Parade

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 15, 2011