We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rose Bowl Parade Parking / Transportation

Which Pasadena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Rose Bowl Parade Parking / Transportation

So after many years of living in SoCal, we are finally going to be able to make it to the Rose Parade. We have reserved bleacher seats, but I am unsure of the best way to travel there, where to park if we drive and what hour we need to get there. It will be hubby, myself, a 4 yo and an 8 yo. Coming from Thousand Oaks/Ventura County.

Not adverse to taking public transportation either.

Thanks in advance!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,069 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rose Bowl Parade Parking / Transportation

Congratulations on making plans to see the Parade! How you get there and where you park has a lot to do with where your seats are.

Here is some info on available parking lots:

http://pasadena.com/rose_parade.asp

Obviously, if your seats are near to one of these parking lots, it would benefit you to park there. Traffic wise, it gets crowded only as you approach Pasadena. So, I would allow for at least 1-1/2 hours to get there and park.

Regarding public transportation: the quickest means WITHIN Pasadena is the Gold Line metro train as it is not affected by street traffic. The commute time from downtown Union Station to the Lake Av stop in Pasadena is about 1/2 hour. Of course, you'd need to get to Union Station and getting there from Thousand Oaks by public transportation would take forever! You could drive to Union Station and park and take the gold line (or you could stay overnight at a hotel in downtown -- or Pasadena, and tale the gold line in the morning (or walk to your seats if you've stayed in Pasadena)).

Or, you could drive to Glendale, park there and take a bus into Pasadena. The easiest, of course, would be to stay in a hotel in Pasadena. Remember, the Parade starts at 8 a.m. -- if you drove from home, you'd have to leave at about 6 a.m. which means you and the children would be getting up at about 5! If you stayed in Pasadena, you'd be able to sleep about another 1-1/2 to 2 hours.

Have fun!

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
1,307 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rose Bowl Parade Parking / Transportation

As stated, it depends where your seats are located. Although your location is not close, you still have some time to make a run to Pasadena to get a little acquainted with the area of your seats. With the crowds, and sometimes getting waved on by traffic control, I found it helpful when I did a little tour prior to the day of the Parade.

If you are near a residential area, you may find spaces that morning on their lawn or driveway. A couple of years, I found a engine repair shop with $10 parking a block from Colorado Blvd. at 7 a.m., and did the same thing a few years prior. After a little shuffling, we sat on the curb. Of course, it was 3/4 down the route, and I did what everyone recommends one shouldn't do regarding the side of the street, etc. My new friends that I met on the Internet and took to the parade, still write and thank me from NC after three years.

However, being the parade is on the 2nd, I would allow extra time for larger crowds.

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rose Bowl Parade Parking / Transportation

I just received our tickets and they are reserved seats near the corner of S. Orange Thorpe and Colorado Blvd. When looking on the map - it appears that area closes off the night before to automobiles. Anyone have any suggestions of parking that is not too far away - there are four of us - a 4 year old, an 8 year old and I am 6 month pregnant, so the closer the better :)

THANKS