We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner before Playhouse

Grass Valley...
Level Contributor
18 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Dinner before Playhouse

My friend and I are going to see a play at the playhouse on a Friday @ 8pm. Can anyone recommend a restaurant close by for dinner before the theater? THanks

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,982 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner before Playhouse

I like El Portal, a Mexican restaurant with a really pleasant outdoor patio, right across the street from the Playhouse. I think it is addressed on Green Street.

We especially like the yucatan specialties, such as cochinita pibil, or the very light yucatan tamales.

Very reasonable.

Or are you looking for something fancier? And are you willing to drive?

695 E Green St

Pasadena, CA 91101

(626) 795-8553

www.elportalrestaurant.com/

Grass Valley...
Level Contributor
18 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner before Playhouse

We are willing to drive. We will drive from our hotel to the playhouse, so something relatively close to the Playhouse would work as well.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,982 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner before Playhouse

Then you have a lot of options. What kind of food would you like? What budget? Special occasion restaurant or eat-fast-get-out-fast restaurant? And where is your hotel?

Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
317 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner before Playhouse

There's a restaurant space right next door to the Playhouse which has been one of those doomed locations - nothing has made a go of it. I saw a sign today though for Elements Kitchen - don't know if that means it's open or coming. They catered a party for us and I've had lunch a number of times at their cafe in Old Town - very solid.

If they're not open there's a Roy's very close by - across the street on Colorado and a Ruth Chris' a few blocks away on Colorado.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
26,811 posts
5,785 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinner before Playhouse

Old Town Pasadena has lots and lots of restaurants.

www.oldpasadena.org/gc_page.asp?cat_id=3

The possibilities are almost every kind of cuisine.

If you like Cheesecake Factory, there is one of those. For Italian, I like Il Fornaio. Sushi Roko is fun for sushi - conetemporary setting. Tibet Nepal house is different, but good. Check the web site for more options; there is parking and valet service in this area. If a Friday, I would make reservation in advance. Call the restaurant or many of them are on open table. Enjoy dinner and the show!

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,982 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dinner before Playhouse

A very nice French restaurant called Bistro 45 is at 45 s. Mentor, about 1/2 mile away. Expensive, special occasion restaurant; you would need to allow much more time for dining there, so as not to be rushed.

There are dozens of restaurants within a mile or two, so it would be helpful to know your preferences. Also a handful within a very short walking distance; the only one we regularly go to is El Portal, so that's why I recommended it.

I'd avoid the "chain" restaurants that you can go to nearer home. There are plenty of interesting and unique restaurants to choose from in Pasadena.

southern california
Level Contributor
154 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dinner before Playhouse

On our last visit to the Playhouse, we ate at Cafe Verdi, a small bistro two blocks west of Lake on Green. Parked near playhouse and walked over. Very good and convenient.

8. Re: Dinner before Playhouse

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:29 am, November 30, 2009