We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Concert in Pasadena

Orland Park...
Level Contributor
327 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Concert in Pasadena

My son and I will be staying down in Pacific Beach during the week of June 9-17, but there is a concert in Pasadena that I HAVE to go to, but we are booked for a week at Crystal Pier in PB. I probably will not change the booking for one night just to run up to the concert, but it is a long drive up and back. Is the area OK and what about the hotels near the civic center?

Suggestions??

Donna

Claremont...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Concert in Pasadena

Hi DLKS, If you're refering to Pacific Beach area down in San Diego your about a two1/2 hour drive (no traffic) away from Pasadena. Pasadena is in LA County and is a nice place visit. I'm assuming your concert is at the Civic Center in Pasadena. If so, there is a nice hotel that is attached to the Civic. It used to be a Holiday Inn but I believe it is a Sheraton now. But there are others that are close by too, The Westin, The Hilton and many more smaller motels.

If you really have to go to this concert, than you really need to stay in the Pasadena area even just for a night. I would not attempt the drive just for the concert. To me its worth the extra cost just to stay a night in Pasadena so you have a place to lay your head after the concert. Hope the info helps, Lisa

Orland Park...
Level Contributor
327 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Concert in Pasadena

Thanks so much for the quick response. I was thinking about the Comfort Inn since I'm paying $235 for the hotel in Pacific Beach and I will be in Pasadena that night, so I was looking for cheap, but I agree with you about the drive. I'll check out the one by the Civic Center.

Thanks again,

Donna

Claremont...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Concert in Pasadena

Hi Donna, I believe The comfort Inn you're refering to is okay. I've actually stay there before. It is further East on Colorado Blvd. Further away than some other motels. You might want to look into the others that are closer to the West side of Pasadena. The Civic Ctr is on the west end near Old Pasadena also I believe there are some decent places on Arroyo Parkway that would be closer to where you need to be. Good luck! Lisa

Orland Park...
Level Contributor
327 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Concert in Pasadena

Lisa, do you happen to know the names of any in the area you suggested? I just bought the tickets for the concert, so I AM going!! I kinda had to bribe my son to go, but he will like it. (I hope). He said he'll just bring his iPod in. NOT!!!

Donna

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Concert in Pasadena

The traffic late at night after the concert will be very light and should be only a little over two hours back to San Diego. If you stay over night in Pasadena and leave the next morning, you will hit heavier traffic.

Orland Park...
Level Contributor
327 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Concert in Pasadena

Is there train service from San Diego to Pasedena so I don't have to stay over? I don't know who to contact/check with for this.

Suggestions?

Donna

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,922 posts
6,059 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Concert in Pasadena

For train service check the Amtrak site; yhou can take Metro then out to Pasadena. Check their schedule to see if their times work.

If you drive there are the usual Travelodge, Best Western (which are a fine cheap stay in Pasadena, etc.). Also sometimes we've been able to get a deal at the Sheraton (but it takes some work to get it...meaning looking on the web and hotel sites like expedia, etc.)

Claremont...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Concert in Pasadena

Honestly Donna, I wouldn't even bother w/the train to San Diego. In my opinion it just not worth the hassle. I believe the Metro would take you to the main depot in LA then you'd transfer to Amtrak down to San Diego. And if you go to the website they will give you info re: time schedules for the whole trip I believe it would take you longer to get down there this way than if you drive. Also, depending on what day your concert is in Pasadena if its the weekend no problem with traffic. If its mid-week and you leave Pasadena in the later morning after rush hour, you'd be okay too. Also, most of the morning traffic is going opposite direction anyway. As for the other names of Hotels. Pasadena Inn is one and I'd check out the Courtyard in Old Pas I've not stayed in either one, but I've heard good things about the Courtyard. Also I thought there was a Quality Inn on Arroyo Parkway as well. I'm not sure I could be wrong I'd check they're website as this would be a convenient area as well. Anyway, have a great trip and Good luck!

9. Re: Concert in Pasadena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, August 30, 2009