We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is Christmas like in Palm Springs

Canada
Level Contributor
138 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What is Christmas like in Palm Springs

Hi I would like to know what there is to do during the Christmas holidays in Palm Springs.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
754 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is Christmas like in Palm Springs

Palm Springs is a resort town, especially in the winter. Outside of Dec 25th, there is really no differencein any other day of the high season here. The weather is beautiful during the day and crisp at night, but never cold like what you're used to.

What sort of things do you enjoy doing?

Dallas
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What is Christmas like in Palm Springs

I enjoy shopping, sight seeing, and going out for dinner. I was wondering if there is a lot of Christmas decorations in Palm Springs during the holidays. In addition, could you recomend a good place to go for chinese food, steak, buffet, and pizza.

Thanks

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is Christmas like in Palm Springs

Re: Holiday Lights

YES !! The Living Desert Reserve in Palm Desert has a holiday light display , and Minerva Drive in Cathedral City is one neighborhood that really goes all out. Downtown PS is lit up with decorations all down Palm Canyon Drive and there is a huge Parade that closes down the streets.

But locals all go to Kenny Irwin's house on Granvia Valmonte near downtown PS. This is a private home that sits on a square block. The owner's son is 32 and is a bit eccentric. There are guided tours from 6-10pm nightly during the holidays. You have to see it to understand, Google his name, and you will see other people pictures. Dont miss this is you are in town.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
754 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is Christmas like in Palm Springs

For dinner downtown Palm Springs

try The Falls Steakhouse, ( pricey and good ) across the way is Matchbox Pizza ( wood fired and great bar and atmosphere )

Dont know about Chinese, there are some good Thai places on the main street but mostly Italian or cafes.

Palm Springs...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: What is Christmas like in Palm Springs

Hey Tahititreat,

My names Ken and I actually just moved out to Palm Springs about 2 weeks ago now; answering your question about Christmas life in Palm Springs, allow me to say that the following:

The city is decorated gorgeously with lights on all of the palm trees, etc., and the annual Festival of Lights parade just commenced last week; however being from Manhattan Beach, myself, allow me to prep you ahead of time. Relaxation is what this entire city seems to be focused on. With that said, might I recommend you take the sky tram up to the top of the mountain? Though quite breezy, I was fortunate enough to do so a couple of days ago for the 1st time and the scenery there is to die for, not to mention there's snow all around and a couple of cozy restaurants.

Lastly, prepare to eat because there are 4-5 star restaurants gracing nearly every corner. And you can definitely walk it all off since Downtown is a definite "tourist attraction".

Hopefully I was able to answer your question(s) and disseminate some useful info. Feel free to contact me personally at my office: 760/864-1560.

Ken~

Southern California
Level Contributor
998 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is Christmas like in Palm Springs

For Chinese, Wang's in the Desert is very good, though a bit expensive. Thai Smile has excellent Thai food and is very cheap.

toronto
Level Contributor
401 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is Christmas like in Palm Springs

Yes, make sure you go to Minerva Drive in Cathedral City!!!! Almost every house on the street has an incredible display of lights!

pe.com/digitalextra/features/holidays/storie…

perfectlymadebirds
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What is Christmas like in Palm Springs

Robochristmas is open for 2007 until Jan. 6th 2008. Hours are 6:30-10pm nightly. 6.2 Million lights with extensive walkthrough tours. The largest residential light display in all of north america according to HGTV and TLC. Bring a toy to donate and please contribute 5$ towards the maintenance and art of the display for others to enjoy to. Located two blocks north of Alejo on 1077 Granvia Valmonte in Palm Springs. Open everynight rain or shine including Christmas Eve Christmas day and New Year's. See the Robochristmas website by artist Kenny Irwin for more details: www.myspace.com/robochristmas Thankyou.

Colorado
Level Contributor
75 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is Christmas like in Palm Springs

Thanks to my buddies on TripAdvisor, we did some amazing things in the Palm Springs area. Kenny Irwin's house and the Cathedral City neighborhood light displays were amazing! The night life in Palm Springs is unbelievable, and the scenery in Palm Desert and Indian Wells (where we stayed) is breathtaking.

Hard to believe a beautiful oasis popped up out of nowhere in the Desert! Palm Springs is a wonderful place to vacation!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is Christmas like in Palm Springs

YES! So glad you enjoyed Kenny's.

And meeting him is an additional treat....hope you come back next year!!