We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic north from Indian Wells to LAX this Thursday 17 Apri

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Traffic north from Indian Wells to LAX this Thursday 17 Apri

Hi all

We drove into the are today arriving around 1pm and the traffic was good owing in

However , from before PS to our exit on Cooke St the traffic leaving and heading west towards LA was bumper to bumper for miles and miles

It was midday .

Can anyone tell me why this would be and is this normal?

The reason I ask is we leave on Thursday to drive back to LA for our flight home

We plan on leaving our hotel around 3pm to arrive in LA around 5-5.30 pm which worked well for us last October . We then have a few hours to kill as we won need to be at airport until around 9pm , but we don't wish to sit in peak hour traffic

So my question is , the full on traffic going west we noticed today , would this be expected this Thursday and if so , suggestions on when we should depart our hotel ?

Thanks

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
24,642 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic north from Indian Wells to LAX this Thursday 17 Apri

I'm assuming the traffic was due to the Coachella Music festival that ended Sunday. A couple hundred thousand people attend and I think a lot of them leave Monday. You shouldn't have issues on Tursday.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,528 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic north from Indian Wells to LAX this Thursday 17 Apri

The Coachella Music Festival has brought nearly 100K visitors to the area. That's the traffic you encountered. They were headed back to LA after the weekend festivities. It will happen again this coming weekend so on Thursday most of the heavy traffic will be eastbound. Allow some extra time just to be safe, but you probably won't see as much traffic as you did when you arrived.

3. Re: Traffic north from Indian Wells to LAX this Thursday 17 Apri

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 17, 2015