We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it nice to stay in downtown Palm Springs?

Seattle
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Is it nice to stay in downtown Palm Springs?

We like being able to walk from our hotel to restaurants and shops but I'm getting the impression that it might be nice to actually stay outside of downtown. Is downtown quaint or not so much? Thanks.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,690 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it nice to stay in downtown Palm Springs?

If you want to be within walking distance of things, downtown is a good place to be.Has a village feel to it.

Other places to be within walking distance of restaurants and shops is near The River in Rancho Mirage, or near El Paseo in Palm Desert, or near Old Town La Quinta.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,308 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it nice to stay in downtown Palm Springs?

Downtown is charming and there are many wonderful nearby hotels.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it nice to stay in downtown Palm Springs?

i've always stayed in the area. like it as people can just walk to many places. when i go to palms springs, laying by the pool with full sunshine and an unobstructed view of the mountains is one of my priorities so i'd check that out for any hotel i booked.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,941 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it nice to stay in downtown Palm Springs?

I like Downtown PS and the charming, mid-century hotels.

But dez had good ideas as well.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,469 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it nice to stay in downtown Palm Springs?

I think you will really want to stay in downtown PS. It is full of shops and restaurants and has a great vibe. Palm Canyon Dr. Is very attractive lined with Palm Trees, lights and outdoor cafés.

I think you would be disappointed staying by The River in Rancho Mirage. Many of the shops are vacant and one visit is fine to a restaurant, unless you return to the movie complex.

6. Re: Is it nice to stay in downtown Palm Springs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 27, 2015