We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from LAX

Kentucky
2 posts
Save Topic
Driving from LAX

I am going to be driving from LAX to Palm Springs this Thursday afternoon. I will be leaving LAX around 1pm. I understand that traffic will be bad, but what do you suggest will be the quickest route? Highway 60 or Highway 91?

Kentucky
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from LAX

Or Interstate 10?

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,282 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from LAX

They're all pretty ugly. The 91 seems most out of the way.

From LAX you can go south about 2 miles and get on Interstate 105 to go east. It dead-ends at I-605 which you can take north to get to either the 60 or I-10. You avoid downtown LA with this maneuver.

So Cal
Level Contributor
9,866 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from LAX

I would do the 105 > 605 > 10. The 10 is four lanes and a full freeway all the way, whereas the 60 goes down to two lanes and becomes a regular highway (with cross traffic and slower speeds). So I've found that, while neither will be exactly speedy, the 10 is generally a bit faster.

Keep an ear out for traffic reports on the day, though.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from LAX

Hi,

I use the free SIGALERT app on my smartphone to guide me through San Diego's traffic. They also cover the LA area:

http://www.sigalert.com/Map.asp?region=Greater+Los+Angeles#lat=33.98417&lon=-118.22335&z=2

It updates the real time traffic conditions every 5 minutes so you can see where the congestion is and plan an alternate way around it. You can check the suggested routes above just before you leave, and see which appears to be the best. Of course, things can change in an instant with an accident.

Zed

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from LAX

Avoid going thru Riverside due to construction. The 105 to 605 to 10 Route isn't bad.

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
126 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from LAX

We'll be doing the same journey but on a Saturday mid-afternoon. Can we hope that traffic may be better on a Saturday?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,337 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from LAX

>>whereas the 60 goes down to two lanes and becomes a regular highway (with cross traffic and slower speeds). <<

Where does the 60 freeway become a highway?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from LAX

If going east, the east end of Moreno Valley where it hits the mountains becomes a highway, and stays that way until Beaumont when it connects with I-10. (About a six mile segment).

Also there is still a lot of construction work (mainly for adding carpool/express lanes) at the junction of the 215 and the 60.

9. Re: Driving from LAX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 25, 2015