We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trail discovery or elite tours for joshua tree?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
trail discovery or elite tours for joshua tree?

I'm deciding between the two tour companies, and like that elite drives you, but it's more expensive. Which is better? I'm mostly interested in hiking and checking out the park, and since I've never been, figured a tour would be fun.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,716 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trail discovery or elite tours for joshua tree?

Joshua Tree is a park that is very easy to see on your own. Most of the trailheads are accessed via paved road.And according to the Trail Discovery website you need to drive out there to meet them anyway.

When you enter the park, you are given a newspaper with trail descriptions.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trail discovery or elite tours for joshua tree?

Thanks for the response. So it is not recommended to do a tour? I thought it might just be more fun, but if its not much difference, I'd think about not doing one. Any other opinions about this?

Thank you!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trail discovery or elite tours for joshua tree?

PS: dez40, I love Zion National Park - saw you are a Destination Expert there!

West Lawn...
Level Contributor
160 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trail discovery or elite tours for joshua tree?

We did JTNP ourselves. We entered and picked up a map and drove through the park stopping off at things we wanted to see. We did a few short hikes but mostly checked out the scenery. It was a great day out. We exited at the opposite end of where we entered. We were staying in Palm Desert. Personally, I wouldnt bother paying for a tour.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,716 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trail discovery or elite tours for joshua tree?

I would never do a tour, but if I did ,I would probably do the Hummer tour to JTNP.

As far as I know, they are the only company to offer tours that enter JTNP from the back way via Berdoo Canyon. That dirt road ends up about midway thru the geology tour loop road. The other companies get to JTNP via the highway.Anybody can do that!

www.adventurehummer.com

There are pics in here of where that road joins the geology tour road.

https:/…

Zion is a great park, glad you enjoyed it.

Edited: 1:53 am, March 01, 2013
joshua tree
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trail discovery or elite tours for joshua tree?

Check out the Desert Institute at Joshua Tree National Park. They offer classes and customized hiking tours www.joshuatree.org/desert-institute

7. Re: trail discovery or elite tours for joshua tree?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 03, 2014