We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in January - Forecasts 3 weeks out are Crap

Newman Lake...
Level Contributor
317 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in January - Forecasts 3 weeks out are Crap

Hey ya'll, I have been to Southern California many years in winter, and January has always been 60-70 and sunny, the forecast for Palm Springs January 6-14 is rain and low 60's, how accurate can I expect this to be? Sun and Clouds with some rain? If I go to northeast desert will the rain be less likely? Hiking and Biking is our gig and I am willing to go east or west to find good weather, beach or desert if that is what it takes... I never remember rain in Newport Beach in January... lol

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,610 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in January - Forecasts 3 weeks out are Crap

I would not trust any report three weeks out. I barely trust anything one week out. We do have winter in Southern California, believe it or not! I've been thru 51 of them. I think it was January 2010 that PS had a record amount of rain.

By northeast desert I assume you mean the Mojave that stretches out toward Vegas?The Mojave desert is higher in elevation than the Coachella Valley and can and does get snow. Odds are you will have nicer, warmer weather in Palm Springs than at the beaches or high desert in January.

Newman Lake...
Level Contributor
317 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in January - Forecasts 3 weeks out are Crap

thanks dez, we'll be on vacation so we will make it work out good or bad weather... heck, 8 days in total, if we get 4 of sunny weather I would be happy... and I bet we'll get luckier than that!!

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,233 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in January - Forecasts 3 weeks out are Crap

"We do have winter in Southern California"

It's true. A storm just finished yesterday. All our winter storms come from Alaska, Canada, North Pole, somewhere really cold.

Last night at 7:00 PM while BBQing on the patio I checked my thermometer and it was exactly 50 degrees. Brrr; almost needed a jacket and something besides flip-flops. This morning at 7:30 AM while leaving for work the thermometer was 42! All this in Orange County. The forecast for the next few days is a high of 65 or so.

Dez, are you planning any trips to the Palm Springs area around Christmas and New Year's Day?

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,610 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in January - Forecasts 3 weeks out are Crap

Maybe New Years, I'll send you a PM.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,815 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in January - Forecasts 3 weeks out are Crap

RedRox, MRP and M&M are all in PS for the winter. Give me a call if you guys are coming up here.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,738 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in January - Forecasts 3 weeks out are Crap

I guarantee that whatever sort of winter you encounter in Palm Springs in January it's a whole heck better than your winter in Wisconsin!

Enjoy your visit!

Dr. Z

7. Re: Weather in January - Forecasts 3 weeks out are Crap

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 21, 2013