We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Viceroy' Palm Springs Mixed Reviews

JT9
Chicago, IL
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Viceroy' Palm Springs Mixed Reviews

I'm taking my husband to Palm Springs for his 40th birthday and we have reservations at The Viceroy. After reading the very mixed reviews on this hotel, I am nervous. They swing from - "amazing, we can't wait to go back, had a wonderful time"... to "they must pay people to write anything positive about this hotel.. DO NOT STAY HERE." Pretty forboding... But wondering if the negative reviews are from folks who are not used to the boutique hotel experience. Can anyone out there clear this up for me? Should I cancel at The Viceroy and run for the Parker? Right now I feel like I'm taking a big risk and of course want the weekend to be really special.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Mentioned in this post
Palm Springs
Palm Springs
Greater Palm Springs, CA
Parker Palm Springs
Parker Palm Springs
1,649 Reviews
Palm Springs, CA
Boutique hotels in Palm Springs
La Serena Villas
La Serena Villas
#5 of 75 hotels in Palm Springs
Old Ranch Inn
Old Ranch Inn
#9 of 75 hotels in Palm Springs
Holiday House
Holiday House
#8 of 75 hotels in Palm Springs
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Viceroy' Palm Springs Mixed Reviews

I wrote a good review, and wasn't paid for, and don't work there. I am a hotel concierge in Chicago, and I have worked in hotels for over 15 years.

During my trips to the Viceroy, I have stayed in four different room types.

The first was on the second floor overlooking the main pool area. Not the biggest room, and yes the shower was small, but it was fine.

Another second floor room in the same building, was a bit larger with two bathrooms, also good.

The third was in the fountain court that had a foyer area, dining room and bedroom area. The fourth was a one bedroom villa. All clean and fine.

All the staff has been extremly friendly from day one.

The first time we stayed, we went through Expedia, only because I was getting hotel and airfare together. If I was only getting a hotel room, I would go directly to the hotel or it's website, and most will now match or better the third party rates.

When you purchase through a third party website, you don't have a lot of room choices, as a hotel will only sell a certain amount to these travel sites.

Anyway, back to the Viceroy.

Like I said the first time we went through Expedia, arrived very late and were given a choice of two rooms. The first room wasn't quite what we wanted, and is the only one like it at the Viceroy. It was big, but not quite our taste. Like I said all the other rooms were great!

I think someone complained about beibg close to the pool. That is where some of the villas are located, and I enjoyed walking out the door to the lounge chair.

Perhaps the negative reviews came from those that decided if everything was not exactly how it was pictured in their head, it was not worth it.

I have found, if I am not satisfied with anything during a hotel stay, I will mention it right away (nicely by the way) and what ever bad sitiuation may have occured, is quckly remedied. Never, never wait until the end of your stay to say anythingif you want something changed.

But mostly relax and enjoy your husbands birthday and focus on him and the fun of a 40th birthday. If he sees you stressing, he won't enjoy it.

Hope I made sense and didn't go on too long

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Viceroy' Palm Springs Mixed Reviews

I dont think they compare in size or quality. Id stick with the Viceroy if your only concern is what a few people said. There are just as many mixed reviews on the Parker.

Mentioned in this post
Parker Palm Springs
Parker Palm Springs
1,649 Reviews
Palm Springs, CA
Cape Cod, MA
Level Contributor
131 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Viceroy' Palm Springs Mixed Reviews

I wrote one of the recent negative reviews about the Viceroy. I was here for my 50th birthday and wish I could go back to Palm Springs and do it all over-staying elsewhere! We had four rooms, so I viewed not just one and all were severly lacking. We all concurred. I'm used to 'boutique hotels' and actually prefer them, but definitely not this one. When we spoke to the front desk (on our first night) we were only given attitude. I won't repeat all my gripes (they're on the original review), but if you want to make your husband's b-day special, pick another hotel.

I drove past the Parker and didn't care for that location. Maybe some others can give you some ideas. Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Palm Springs
Palm Springs
Greater Palm Springs, CA
Parker Palm Springs
Parker Palm Springs
1,649 Reviews
Palm Springs, CA
JT9
Chicago, IL
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Viceroy' Palm Springs Mixed Reviews

psconcierge - Thank you for your insights. I appreciate hearing from someone in the hotel business (and a fellow Chicagoan!). I will definitely take your advice and kindly let the hotel staff know of any concerns as soon as they arise. I come from the service industry myself and totally understand the "you get more bees with honey" concept. I booked on-line with the hotel (not thru a 3rd party web-site) and requested a pool-side, off-street Weatherly Suite. I did call the concierge yesterday to book a couple of golf tee times... after hanging up on me once (by accident, I'm sure), he was very harried, didn't seem really familiar with the local courses (I was asking for some guidance) and ended up giving me a couple of phone numbers to make my own reservations. Because he appeared (literally) out of breath and busy, I offered to call back today for the restaurant recommendations I am also in need of. Please advise... are these services not normally performed by a concierge? When I made my hotel reservations, the gentleman at the front desk recommended I call the hotel a week or two before we arrive for golf, restaurant, spa reservations.

Sorry to continue to pick your brain - hope I'm not taking advantage of your expertise!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Viceroy' Palm Springs Mixed Reviews

I don't believe The Viceroy has a dedicated concierge. I believe they are part of the front desk staff like the Amalfi Hotel here in Chicago.

The last time we were at the Viceroy, I tried to make nice with the General Manager, (who is fairly new to the property) because I would work there in a New York minute! Oh, the GM is a nice man, so maybe try and say hello.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Viceroy' Palm Springs Mixed Reviews

Also, a Weatherly Suite was the kind we first stayed in with a large living room, sperate bedroom and two bathrooms on the second floor. The room was fine. If you plan on doing any lounging, go to one of the other pools. While I think all are fine, I just like the others better, especially the one near the spa.