We (family of 4 with daughters 14 and 11) will be in the Palm Springs area from 12/22-12/28/12. I have been browsing TA and researching the web to make plans for our trip. We enjoy the outdoors and love hiking. Here is what I have come up with so far -
1 day for the PS Aerial Tramway and hikes at Mount Jacinto State Park
1 day at Joshua Tree National Park
1 day at Indian Canyons
1 day at Anza Borrego State Park
1 day at the Coachella Valley Preserve
1 day doing one of those ATV/Pink Jeep Tours
Here are my questions
- How does this sound? Is this too ambitious for 6 days?
- What are the recommended hikes in these locations? We are easily able to hike 6-8 miles a day.
- Is it realistic to think that we can hike at these locations in December - especially at Mount Jacinto State Park?
- How easy is it to drive without a 4WD to and within Anza Borrego? I really want to go to the Pumpkin Patch - is that possible without a 4WD?
- Any recommendations for what would be the best trip on one of those ATV tours? San Andreas Fault or Split Mountain Gorge at Anza Borrego (goes also to the wind caves and sandstone canyon) or the Mecca Hills and Painted/Ladder Canyon? Any thoughts on which would be the most difficult to do on our own, making it a good trip to do with an ATV and guide?
Thanks for all your help