We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego to Palm Springs - Best route?

Boston...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
San Diego to Palm Springs - Best route?

Hi All, We are planning to go to Palm Springs from San Diego on Sunday night 12 - Feb around 7 pm. What is the best route suggested to drive at night? Are we missing any beautiful sceneries by driving at night?

From palm springs we will be heading back to Torrance after a 3 night stay.

I always wanted to drive with the desert/moutains on both sides...don't know whether that will be the case.

Thank you very much for your time. I really appreciate your time to provide us with valuable information.

Thanks,

Swap

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,917 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego to Palm Springs - Best route?

If you're driving at night, just take the 15 to 10, it's about two hours, maybe a bit more. Yes, you are missing some fantastic scenery. There are many options. The route over the mountains on 371 is great as is our favorite route through the Anza-Borrego desert.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,935 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego to Palm Springs - Best route?

For that night drive take Interstate 15 to Interstate 215 to Hwy60 east which merges with Interstate10 in Beaumont. Then take I-10 into PS.About 2 hours.

The I-15,79,371,74 is a nice route in the day, but at night don't bother,you won't see anything until the overlook over Palm Desert.Then you will just see lights.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,217 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego to Palm Springs - Best route?

I agree with the route posted just above: I-15 to 215 to 60 to 10.

You will find beautiful scenery once you are out there. I wouldn't worry about missing anything. Not sure though why you would start to travel to a new hotel so late??

Boston...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: San Diego to Palm Springs - Best route?

Thank you all for providing information !!

After spending a couple day in San diego we were planning to leave San Diego in the evening and drive to Palm springs.

We are just trying to utilize 3 complete days in palm springs. If we leave the next day then we miss half of the day as well get little tired with the 2 hour drive (i mean a little bit :-) ). But we haven't yet decided yet on the exact time to leave.

I guess there would be many small road trips that I could do from palm springs to enjoy the scenic beauty and drives.

I will take a note of both the routes and will dig more into it and will come back with more questions or my final trip details.

Thanks

$wap

5. Re: San Diego to Palm Springs - Best route?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 18, 2012