We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palm Springs....need planning help from locals please.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
916 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Palm Springs....need planning help from locals please.

We are thinking about heading to Palm Springs for a week in March. We need some help planning. It will just be my husband and I and I. I will be 6 months pregnant by then so nothing to crazy. We like good food, mild hiking, wine (well for my hubby since I can't), spa, he loves golf....

Is it pretty warm there in March?

What day trips can we do from there and how long is the drive from Palm Springs?

What are the must do's and must sees in the area?

Restaurant recommndations? Something different, romantic or memorable with good food.

Any great shopping in the area?

Thanks in advance for the help.

missouri
Level Contributor
46 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palm Springs....need planning help from locals please.

My wife and I visited Palm Springs the first part of March last year and I sure wish I could go back this year. The weather was perfect. We stayed at the PepperTree Inn and it was very nice. Great location for walks and easy access to everything. We picked up a tour book on celebrity homes and spent an enjoyable afternoon finding them. The traffic is light and it is easy to drive around looking at the historical sights.

Golf? Some of the most beautiful courses that I have ever seen but was there to spend time with my wife so I didn't take the clubs.

Great place to visit for 2 or 3 days. Hope you enjoy Palm Springs as much as I did.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Palm Springs....need planning help from locals please.

We stayed at Marriott Las Palmas last June and loved it. Laid back, good service, nice rooms, decent spa, good location and golf. A drive through Joshua Tree Forest is a must. If the tram is operating again, it's lovely on top. Day trips? LOL We took a day trip to Simi Valley! LOL - it was a loooonnnnngggg day! Best wishes.

Mercer Island, WA
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Palm Springs....need planning help from locals please.

Hi, We have been vacationing in Palm Springs for years, we feel like locals. For Golf contact Next day golf at 760-321-2665. You get around 40-50% off on tee times. They represent many courses from easy ones to courses on the PGA tour. They are great.

The weather is fantastic in March. That is why Palm Springs is so popular. It doesn't have the rain that Florida, Mexico or the Caribbean can get in the springtime. You are almost guaranteed warm, sunny days. Being a desert with no clouds, it does cool off inthe evenings.

Disneyland and Beverly Hills are within 2 hour drives. There are vineyards in Temecula which is 1 hour away. There is a nice art museum in Palm Springs. The Indian Canyons where you can take an easy hike is the only native oasis in the US.

For shopping go to Cabazon discount shopping mall. In Palm Springs on north Palm Canyon is all the anique stores which are 40's-60's "antiques." El Paseo in Palm Desert is the fancy shopping area of the valley.

The River is nice in Rancho Mirage and is great for restaurants. Johannes in Palm Springs is a great restaurant. Melvyn's is a classy Palm Springs institution. Going there for dinner, you feel like Cary Grant is going to be eating right next to you.

We always stay at a hotel called The Terra Cotta Inn in Palm Springs http://sunnyfun.com . It is the best clothing optional resort in America where you can go nude sunbathing. The media always writes that it is also one of the best of all hotels in Palm Springs. However, if you are not interested in nude sunbathing (great for natural vitamin D), then go to http://palmsprings.com Where they also list lots of hotels and restaurants.

Hope you find this helpful. Kira

KF
Level Contributor
119 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palm Springs....need planning help from locals please.

mgfit,

I'm not a local but I'm putting in my two cents!

I'd try the Marriott and don't bother with the Westin - definately not what you would be used to as far as Westin's go - it just doesn't measure up - grounds are nice and that's it!

Eat a great Italian meal at Mamma Gina's - to die for! Stay in the Rancho Mirage or Indian Wells areas. Day trip could be to Newport beach, a couple hours drive but a nice spot or hit the beach and drive the coast on the Hwy 1 and visit some of the little beach towns. Remember, when in the desert, it gets chilly at night but coming from Detroit, you will probably consider it balmy :-)

Best wishes!

KF

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
227 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Palm Springs....need planning help from locals please.

I love Palm Springs!

Must do: VillageFest on Thursday nights. http://www.palmspringsvillagefest.com/

If you enjoy horseback riding, it's a great way to explore the canyons.