We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving LAX to Palm Springs

Melbourne
Level Contributor
131 posts
4 reviews
Driving LAX to Palm Springs

Hi

We are arriving from Australia into LAX on Wednesday morning - day before Thanksgiving. Departing LAX around 9.00am and driving straight to Palm Springs, should we anticipate huge delays due to holiday traffic? I understand this drive would usually take 2 -2.5 hrs?

Thanks.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Driving LAX to Palm Springs

If you are arriving here on Wednesday, you are facing traffic on a totally epic level.

If you truly get out of LAX by 9am, you should be relatively okay. But, by noon, you better be prepared for lots of sitting and waiting.

Yes, it's about a 2-2.5 hour drive, with no traffic. There is no "usually".

Melbourne
Level Contributor
131 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Driving LAX to Palm Springs

Thanks. Our flight gets in around 7am so we hope to be out of there by 9-10am at the latest !!!!! we got stuck heading north on memorial day once and that was really bad - this time we have a 16 mth old toddler so we really hope we dont hit that sort of traffic again.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
3. Re: Driving LAX to Palm Springs

If you leave that early, you should be okay, and because there are three of you, you can use the carpool lane on I-10.

All I can tell you is be prompt, and hope your flight isn't delayed!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,781 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Driving LAX to Palm Springs

You should be ok if you leave by noon. My husband will be in that traffic mess after lunch that Wednesday, but I will already be in the desert with some of the familly. Sometimes Wednesday is the only day people can get off work to drive out there for the holiday.

From LAX area we go out the 105 to the 605, to the 91 and then 60, and it takes 2 hours non peak driving time.

Southern California
Level Contributor
998 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Driving LAX to Palm Springs

The 91 has the worst traffic. I would take the 105 to the 605 to the 60 (or continue up to the 10).

There is construction at the 91 and 60 interchange and the delays are awful there.

Apple Valley, CA
Level Contributor
662 posts
27 reviews
6. Re: Driving LAX to Palm Springs

please follow RBCal suggestion for Fwys. The 91 is one of the worst Fwys around. I believe both the 60 and the 10 (East) have carpool lanes. Both are about the same level of traffic.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,781 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Driving LAX to Palm Springs

We all have our ways to drive to the desert, so no argument. I am fortunate that I can leave the SoBay by 10 am and not run into any delays on the 91, and arrive two hours later. I drive out there 10-12 times a year and the only time we have slow traffic on the 91, is returning home on Easter Sunday, no matter what time of day you drive. The 91 is the route everyone I know here takes when leaving in the AM, and they have second homes and drive out often, and say they save 10 minutes going this way. The key is to leave in the morning. The later you leave in the afternoon, there is heavier traffic. My husband has the Fast Trac in his car for the 91, and that helps, too.

Any of the suggested routes will get you there. I am sure on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, all the freeways will be packed more than usual.

Southern California
Level Contributor
998 posts
12 reviews
8. Re: Driving LAX to Palm Springs

As stated above there is major construction at the 91/60 interchange. This section ALWAYS has delays no matter what time of the day. (I drive past here often).

Avoid the 91 and continue up to the 60 or 10 (listen to AM 1070 for traffic).

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
9. Re: Driving LAX to Palm Springs

Here's my call:

If you get out on time, the 91 will be okay. Unfortunately, without a transponder, you can't use the 91's carpool lane.

If you get out late, you might want to try 105 East/605 North/10 East. You can use some carpool lanes this way.

Again, keep in mind that if you're late, you're stuck just about any way you go.

West Jordan, Utah
Level Contributor
1,995 posts
20 reviews
10. Re: Driving LAX to Palm Springs

Sorry for a Threadjack.

But this is kinda On Topic.

What about those of us who are flying into Ontario?

Is there a Car Pool Lane from Ontario to Palm Springs?

There's no toll road, right?