We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JW Desert Springs or Rennaisance Esmeralda?

Which Palm Desert hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
166 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
JW Desert Springs or Rennaisance Esmeralda?

I have stayed at the JW and found it less than 4 star. The view from the room is what it is all about. Can anyone seriously compare it to the Ren Esmeralda in Indian Wells? Is the Esmeralda truly better than the JW Desert Springs?

I am taking my sister and neice and cannot make up my mind.

I am using Marriot Reward points so I need to stay at these places.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JW Desert Springs or Rennaisance Esmeralda?

Hi,

I think that the Esmeralda has a more upscale feeling. The JW is glitsy; whereas the Esmeralda is more understated. The exterior of the Esmeralda is not inspiring, but the grounds are beautiful. They have a great spa!

Also, read the reviews on this Board.

Cheers!!!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
166 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JW Desert Springs or Rennaisance Esmeralda?

Ricardo,

Can you talk about the pools at all? I felt that JW was a bit old and out dated. Is the Ren pool seriously better?

My neice is obsessed with pools - so I want to make sure we pick the hotel with the best pool.

Thanks for replying!

Jim

Claremont...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JW Desert Springs or Rennaisance Esmeralda?

Hi, I've stayed at both and I agree w/last post that the Ren is more upscale and I think the rooms at the Ren are very nice and spacious. The pools are great at the JW if you can get a space early in the day otherwise it becomes extremely crowded w/ loud college crowds. The Ren has a fantastic pool w/a beach sand area that I think is better for kids. And a great bar area for adults.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JW Desert Springs or Rennaisance Esmeralda?

I agree with Ted about the pools. Is your niece young(like college or high school),then she might like the pools at the JW because of all the college kids.

I think the pool areas at Esmeralda are wonderful.

Yes, I agree with you. With all the money that Mariott has made at DS, they should do a serious remodel on the property.

Cheers!!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,273 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JW Desert Springs or Rennaisance Esmeralda?

We've stayed at both, but go back to the Esmeralda because it has a nicer feel to it and we like the pool area better. Sand beach at one end, as mentioned, is nice for young ones.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
166 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JW Desert Springs or Rennaisance Esmeralda?

Thanks to all for the great info! Esmeralda it is! Sounds perfect.

Thank you!

7. Re: JW Desert Springs or Rennaisance Esmeralda?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, August 15, 2009