We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Palm Desert in August - itinerary suggestions

London, UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visiting Palm Desert in August - itinerary suggestions

We are a familiy of 5 (including teens aged 17,14,11) and will be spending two weeks at one of the resorts in Palm Desert.

This is our first time in the area as we've always gone to Florida in the past and wanted a change this year.

I would really appreciate some suggestions for exciting things to do and places to eat. Some of the things we enjoy doing are theme/water parks, reasonably-priced buffet restaurants, outlet shopping, beaches, go karting etc.

Thanks

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,517 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Palm Desert in August - itinerary suggestions

It will be hot in August, so if you want to do things like hiking , go early.

Joshua Tree National Park is about an hour away.

Try the indian canyons with palm groves and streams near downtown PS.

www.indian-canyons.com

Try the Living Desert. www.livingdesert.org

To get out of the heat, try the tram. www.pstramway.com

There is a waterpark called Soak City,a miniature golf and go kart place called Boomers.

The River entertainment complex has many restaurants and a theater.

There is outlet shopping close by in Cabazon.

If you want to head to the beach, its about a 2 hour drive, no traffic. Since I live there I prefer Orange County beaches.Leave PS after 8 am and you should not hit traffic on the way to Orange County. Going back to PS is another story. Unless you leave the beach before 12:30-1 pm you will have up to a four hour drive to PS.You could wait until after 8 pm and traffic will be less.

You could check out Newport or Huntington Beaches.Further south is Dana Point which has an excellent whale/dolphin watching cruise run by Capt Dave.Highly recommend it. The boat has two underwater viewing pods. www.dolphinsafari.com

If you want to ride go karts try K1 speed in Irvine. www.k1speed.com

Of course Disneyland is in Orange County.

San Diego is about 2 hours from PS, and the wine region of Temecula is about an hour away.The mountain resort town of Big Bear Lake is not far away.

Up near the mountain town of Wrightwood a new zip line adventure tour just opened. It was on the news in PS a few days ago. Looked very cool.

Edited: 4:28 pm, July 22, 2011
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,697 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Palm Desert in August - itinerary suggestions

Just FYI "hot" can easily mean 37-43C!!

London, UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Palm Desert in August - itinerary suggestions

Thanks both - some very helpful suggestions there.

Any Walmart or Target nearby to the Marriott Desert Spring Villas, as that's where we'll be staying?

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Palm Desert in August - itinerary suggestions

Be careful, I really would not include hiking in the agenda. August can be brutal especially when the humidity comes in from Arizona and the temps start the morning in the 90s.

Living Desert is open in the mornings.

Yes, you can easily find Target, Walmart, etc by using google maps.

Eg if you enter Walmart Palm Desert in the search box you will find there is one at Monterey Ave and the Freeway, and another on 111 east of Washington.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Palm Desert in August - itinerary suggestions

I suppose if you're used to going to Florida in August you can deal with Palm Desert, but as others have said, it will be hot, hot, hot. Highs will always be over 38C and could reach 49C. It's hotter than Florida but less humid.

Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. Perspiration evaporates and you don't realize how much water you're losing. While you are outdoors try to drink at least 1/2 liter of water every hour.

Do your activities before 9AM or after 7PM. Try to stay out of the direct sun at the height of the day -- noon to 3PM.

And I agree with #4, hiking isn't such a good idea that time of year.

Windsor UK
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Palm Desert in August - itinerary suggestions

Having been to Florida many times and Palm Desert twice before also leaving in the morning for LA and staying again in Palm Desert for 3 nights i would strongly advise against 14 nights,there would not be enough to do and the heat can be unbearable at times,by all means visit but i would travel and stay in other places by the coast as well.

London, UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Palm Desert in August - itinerary suggestions

Thanks all for your thoughtful insights. Unfortunately, we're already committed to spending two weeks in Palm Desert, and I guess we'll spend some of the time in the malls and maybe doing day trips to other cities. Any suggestions on day trips that might interest a trio of teenagers (who are easily bored)? Oldest is a girl (17) followed by two boys (14 & 11).

Thanks.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,697 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Palm Desert in August - itinerary suggestions

It is a 2hr.+ ish drive to either San Diego or LA.-beaches etc.

You may want to drive up into the mts. to Big Bear Lake or Lake Arrowhead for something different too.

You may even want to consider a couple of overnights at a hotel somewhere else and just add a bit onto the cost of your trip since 2 weeks in the desert in Aug. may not have been the perfect choice.

London, UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Palm Desert in August - itinerary suggestions

Thanks, riffsmom.

What do the locals do to keep themselves entertained/active during the summer months (apart rom golf)?

We are also contemplating spending some time in Palm Springs to break the monotony. Any recommendations regarding excellent diners in PS?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,697 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Palm Desert in August - itinerary suggestions

Palm Springs is just down the road apiece so although there are other restaurants/hiking in the Indian Canyons and the tram to the top of the mt, it is the same desert environment and not really much of a change of pace!

The area is truly quiet in summer. We often go for weekends and after going once in summer we really decided , not again. I found it depressing.Some businesses close and some locals go away for the summer so not really a "hopping" time to visit.