We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beach for day trip?

Roanoke, Virginia
3 posts
Save Topic
Best beach for day trip?

We are going to be in Palm Desert next week and will be taking several day trips. We would like to go to the beach for a couple of them and wonder which are the best beaches for a family with 3 young adult children (22, 19, 16). Thanks!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,064 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best beach for day trip?

Hi there, Welcome to the forums.

Do you realize that beaches are about 2 hours away from the desert? For me it is not a day trip but I guess everyone is different in how far they'll go for one day.

You have lots of choices. In San Diego I'd tell you to go to Pacific Beach.

In Orange County perhaps to Laguna Beach or maybe "surf city" aka Huntington Beach.

Depending on how long you are in California I'd suggest staying over somewhere near the coast instead of driving back and forth several times!

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best beach for day trip?

Probably most direct would be Huntington Beach in Orange County.

Two hours each way is about right.

Roanoke, Virginia
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best beach for day trip?

We do not consider 2 hours each way to be that long of a drive! We are staying in Palm Desert because that is where the time share exchange we arranged for is at. Thanks for your advice.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,345 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best beach for day trip?

The drive will be not only long but hot. Temperatures in the desert are 110+ this week. I would consider staying overnight at the coast at least one night.

I suggest the Residence Inns in Fountain Valley and Costa Mesa for reasonably priced accommodations within 15 minutes of the beach.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,371 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best beach for day trip?

I suggest Manhattan Beach, less than 2 hours away. Take the 10 east to the 605 South to 105 west, and straight to the coast where LAX is. Take Sepulveda Blvd. 3 miles to MB.

It's a great place for young people, lots of shops and restaurants, a 22 mile bike path, boogie boarding, surfing, volleyball all around the beautiful pier.

…about.com/bl_calambchphoto_pr.htm

Since you are planning on going to the beach a couple days, you might try a couple beaches.

Have lunch at the Kettle Restaurant up from the beach.

http://thekettle.net/Menu.aspx

Roanoke, Virginia
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best beach for day trip?

We ended up at the Santa Monica Pier and Venice Beach which was a lot of fun for us to see.... to cold to actually go to the beach for the day. Thanks for the suggestions. We had a great time. Also took a trip to San Diego for the zoo and a tram ride to San Jacinto State Park for hiking ....highly recommended.

7. Re: Best beach for day trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 20, 2011