We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: Pacifica!

Chicago
Level Contributor
277 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report: Pacifica!

Just wanted to give two thumbs up to Pacifica, which seems to get too many thumbs down for not being SF or Half Moon Bay. We stayed Sunday, July 3 at the HI Express, rather than grab an airport hotel before our flight out on the 4th. "Foggy" Pacifica was brilliantly sunny, the beach was just right for us and the food at the little Mexican joint one block off the sand really hit the spot (home made tamales and fish tacos- wish I had some now!). Our commute to the airport was a breeze- and we flew out of Oakland. OK, that was due to light holiday traffic, but still.... Pacifica worked for us.

11 replies to this topic
Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,825 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report: Pacifica!

Excellent--great to hear about an alternative to the airport hotels, and it sounds like it was a nice, relaxing way to end your trip!

Pacifica, CA
Level Contributor
30 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report: Pacifica!

Pacifica is actually a great alternative to staying in San Francisco or the airport. Not only are the hotels much less costly but it's a beautiful little beach town only 15 minutes from SF with plenty of free parking, fantastic restaurants and very low crime. Great place for a home base if you have a rental car.

Pacifica
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report: Pacifica!

For years I lived in SF. Pacifica was my get away weekend place to de-stress. A beautiful little beach town. Hidden beaches and coves abound. Proud to now call it home.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,576 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report: Pacifica!

This may be a first. I don't remember if we have ever had a trip report for Pacifica! I'm glad it worked for you and you enjoyed the tranquil beach area. It doesn't work for everyone as a base for actually vacationing in San Francisco because of the difficult public transit situation, but it does make a good last-night stay near SFO. It definitely beats staying on Airport Blvd, in San Bruno or Burlingame, and the big reason is that Pacifica has its own character.

Pacifica is one of my favorite Bay Area towns and I actually go and stay overnight occasionally at Rockaway Beach when I just feel like a quiet seaside get-away!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,703 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report: Pacifica!

Note that this trip report is from July 2011. Has anyone else visited since then?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report: Pacifica!

<<Has anyone else visited since then?>>

PNWF you sound like you're channeling your inner Sal.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report: Pacifica!

We visit several times a year. Love Rockaway Beach and Nick's. On a weekend afternoon, we hike across the cliff to town for a few drinks and dinner and then take a cab back. Mr. Yurf keeps asking when we'll go back. Hope it's soon!

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,576 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report: Pacifica!

I go to Pacifica a lot. But I don't know if I count as a visitor, since I live so near.

Once in awhile, when I feel like having a quick seaside getaway, I'll go get a room at Rockaway Beach. I'll walk around there and at Linda Mar, hang out by the ocean, watch the surfers, maybe sit by the cove and do some reading, look in the shops, have lunch and/or dinner at the local eateries, enjoy the sunset, and open the window so I can hear the ocean from bed.

** "Love Rockaway Beach and Nick's. On a weekend afternoon, we hike across the cliff to town for a few drinks and dinner and then take a cab back." **

I wonder what locations this refers to. Do you go to Rockaway Beach and then hike across the cliff to town, and to which town or neighborhood? I'm visualizing hiking across the cliff from Rockaway Beach, which would be an uphill climb toward residential San Bruno. Or do you mean over the rise toward Linda Mar Beach?

Level Contributor
35,221 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report: Pacifica!

Pacifica sounds nice! We thought that Holiday Inn looked like it was in a beautiful location when we drove by. :).

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report: Pacifica!

Not San Bruno...north to the main area of Pacifica. Generally, we end up at the Seahorse for refreshments before we decide where to wander for dinner.

Reply to: Trip Report: Pacifica!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted