We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay??

Ontario
Level Contributor
124 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay??

We will be in Monterrey area the week of May 15. I've been looking at places in Pacific Grove. Any opinions on best place to stay would be appreciated. We will be renting a car in San Francisco for the drive down to Monterrey.. I've looked at Lover's Point Inn, Borg's Ocean Inn and Sunset Inn. Sunset seems to have the best reviews but I don't think it is on the water like the other 2. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay??

Borg's is quite basic lodging, but the location is the best. It is directly across the street from the water--you could hardly get any closer. Sunset Inn is the nicest of the three. It's a short walk to the water, but if your priority is having the water outside your window, you won't get that there. I'm assuming that you're trying to keep the cost down, but if you can go higher, take a look at Green Gables Inn. It's a nice B&B with beautiful water views. When you're looking, note that some of the less expensive rooms have shared baths, so be sure to check that.

Ontario
Level Contributor
124 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay??

Thank you for your quick response. We are trying to keep costs down since we will be spending a week in San Francisco before driving down the coast. We are thinking of staying Sunday to Wednesday in Pacific Grove and then driving to Big Sur area and staying in Cambria Thursday and Friday , then heading back towards San Francisco to fly out on Sunday. Friends suggested 2 nights in Cambria as they have been there and really liked it. Do you think the time from Sun. - Thurs. am gives us enough time in the area to see Monterrey Carmel and Pacific Grove?

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay??

Yes, I think that's plenty of time to enjoy the area. If you tell us your interests, we can suggest things to do here. One thing I suggest to all visitors is Point Lobos State Reserve. It's a gorgeous place to take easy hikes and see the amazing ocean views. http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=571

Ontario
Level Contributor
124 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay??

i checked out the site for Point Lobos and we'll definitely go there! We like to be outdoors. We'd like to see the towns, do a little shopping to bring home something unique from our trip, wine tasting, maybe the aquarium. I'm going to start checking into restaurants too. We've never been to California and are looking forward to our trip.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay??

It sounds as though you've chosen some good activities. The aquarium is excellent. For wine tasting, you can go out to Carmel Valley to Chateau Julien and Bernardus. There is also a "Wine Trolley" that picks you up and takes you wine tasting. That way, someone else can do the driving. It may take up more of your day than you'd like, though. www.toursmonterey.com/WTPages/WTHome.html

The best area for shopping is downtown Carmel, which has tons of small shops and art galleries. It tends to be expensive, but there are many stores to check out.

There are so many good restaurants. Be sure to try Red House Cafe in Pacific Grove. They serve lunch and dinner, but lunch is very reasonably priced and offers more selections.

Ontario
Level Contributor
124 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay??

Thanks so much for your help. I'll check out the wine tours and the Red House Cafe.

7. Re: where to stay??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, March 30, 2012