We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lighthouse lodge and suites or butterfly grove Inn

Denver
Level Contributor
9 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
lighthouse lodge and suites or butterfly grove Inn

We are planning to stay in the Pacific Grove area at the end of April.

I have read mixed reviews about these places. We have booked at the Lighthouse Lodge and Suites but are very concerned that our room at the Lodge part ( not the suites) will be a poor choice for accommodations. Any help is appreciated. We will be traveling down highway 1 but would like to start off in this area ending in Simi Valley

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lighthouse lodge and suites or butterfly grove Inn

Do you remember that commercial a few years ago where the couple walk out on to the deck of their hotel room to check out the view and the smiles on their face disappear as they realize their room overlooks a cemetery?

That pretty much sums up Lighthouse Lodge and Suites.

Not that it would be a bad place to stay. Just need to be aware of what's there in case that would creep you out.

Edited: 2:42 am, April 01, 2010
Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,359 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: lighthouse lodge and suites or butterfly grove Inn

As cemeteries go, the one in question is not particularly creepy. I've never seen it from the Lodge, but from the street view the grounds sort of blend with the adjacent golf course. It is very attractive with the cypress trees and I often see deer grazing there.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lighthouse lodge and suites or butterfly grove Inn

Hi. This is a tough one because we locals don't generally know what the hotel rooms look like. I can tell you a few things, though.

1. Some reviews have more to do with unrealistic expectations than with the actual hotel. When people see how high the lodging rates are in this area, especially in the summer, they often think "$200 means luxury." That may be true in Iowa, but it isn't the case here. So, when they end up with a clean, comfortable room that could benefit from some updating, they are sorely disappointed. In the case of specific complaints--such as no hot water or the doorknob is broken--these are things that might make me have doubts about a place. But these things can happen at any hotel, and it's important to know how hard the customers pushed for a solution from the manager. You have to consider the "average" of all the reviews.

2. The cemetery. Unless you are extremely superstitious, the cemetery shouldn't bother you. As Mr. Toy pointed out, it's well-groomed and you often will see deer grazing. And, as they say, the neighbors are quiet.

3. Lighthouse Lodge's location is better than Butterfly Grove's, in my opinion, because it's a short walk to the ocean and the path that runs along it. Do you have a golfer in your party? You will walk past the PG Municipal Links, a very good course with some ocean views and reasonable greens fees.

4. Some if the reviews complain about the quality of the food at Lighthouse Lodge and Suites. Well, consider this: how many hotels give you a free hot (as opposed to a stale pastry and weak coffee) breakfast, afternoon cheese, crackers, fruits, etc. and a late afternoon-early evening BBQ (granted, it's hot dogs and hamburgers, but it's free food)? There are many excellent restaurants in PG (Red House Cafe and Max's Grill are two). A good free breakfast will save you money that you can spend on a high-quality lunch and/or dinner at one of the many fine restaurants in this area.

Bottom line: Pacific Grove is a lovely, quaint little town with a stretch of gorgeous (sometimes dramatic) coastline. It is a wonderful place to stay and is fairly central to everything, being flanked on one side by Monterey and on the other Pebble Beach and Carmel. It is not known for upscale lodging, though. If you choose either Lighthouse or Butterfly Grove, you should get a clean, comfortable place to stay. Just come with realistic expectations.

Having said all of that, how did you narrow your search down to these two hotels? Are there others that you considered? What are your exact dates and your price range. Perhaps we can make some other suggestions that we think are better.

Denver
Level Contributor
9 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lighthouse lodge and suites or butterfly grove Inn

I am not concerned with the cemetary.

Our requirements are a clean comfortable room, walking distance for sight seeing - we would prefer to not have to look for parking .

Nice grounds quiet. A heated pool would be nice.

We will be traveling down pacific coast highway 1. April 24-30

We are flying into Burbank - driving to Three Rivers for a couple of days then heading down the coast. Plan to stop in the Montery area - but prefer to stay away from the high prices - hence Pacific Grove .

We will drive on to the Cambria area for a couple days.

Then on toward the area around Santa Barbara -> Santa Monica - not sure where would be a good place to call base camp as we sight see around

Thanks for you reply and assistance

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lighthouse lodge and suites or butterfly grove Inn

Keep in mind that the Big Sur International Marathon takes place on April 25 and Highway 1 between Carmel and Big Sur will be closed most of the day.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lighthouse lodge and suites or butterfly grove Inn

I think that Lighthouse Lodge will meet most of your requirements. The only thing is that, although you walk to the ocean, you can't walk to any other sights. What do you plan to do? If you want to visit the aquarium and Cannery Row, for example, you'll have to drive or drive partway and then walk the remainder.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lighthouse lodge and suites or butterfly grove Inn

I read all the replies but I didn't see one from anyone who has actually stayed there. Well I have.

Major disappointment.

It is two rows of 2 level motor lodge. One row looks out to the cemetary the other side looks in the same direction across teh parking lot and the view is of.....the parking lot.

There are no grounds. The rooms are old, made up of kind of updated colors and a corner gas fireplace but the furniture is all made of the particle board made to look like wood. There is a desk and armoir that holds the tv. The bathrooms are older - I have nothing positive to include. The door to the room is old and, in my opinion, rikity and, if you are lucky, your sliding door does not open to the parking lot - call me NOT lucky. The pool and spa are fine. The breakfast is provided in a room off the pool. It's fine.

We had reservations for 2 nights. We cancelled the 2nd night the minute we arrived but could not cancel the first night without penalty. It is very much a motor lodge - old motor lodge.

Denver
Level Contributor
9 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lighthouse lodge and suites or butterfly grove Inn

any suggestions where to stay?

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: lighthouse lodge and suites or butterfly grove Inn

Once again, if you provide your dates and price range, we can help. There's no point in throwing out names of places if they're not within your budget or available on your dates.

Denver
Level Contributor
9 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: lighthouse lodge and suites or butterfly grove Inn

thanks for you help . Our lodging reservations have been completed.